Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NYPD adds muscle to its car fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I'd have to see how much they spent on their Crown Vic's, but I just wonder how useful it will be. NYC does not have that many high speed chases, and in a dense city, they often call off a chase to prevent a bad accident.

We would probably save a lot of money if a majority of the fleet were for more reliable fuel-efficient cars. I can't imagine was the NYPD's gas bill is.
    Only the Highway units will be V-8 powered, and while I agree most high speed chases should be avoided (you can't outrun a radio), you do need a car with some grunt to go get the bad guys. [One of my favorite movie lines, from "Vanishing Point": "You can't catch him in no dog-pie Chevy, it takes a Mopar to catch a Mopar!"]

The precinct sector cars will have a V-6. Wouldn't want anything smaller than that for day-to-day police work.

Looking at the Michigan State Police vehicle evaluation report (they test all the "police package" cars the manufacturers offer), the Charger with the V-6 gets 19mpg in "city" mileage, the V-8 Charger gets 17mpg, the Crown Vic's get 16mpg. The smaller Chevy Impala matches the V-6 Charger's 19mpg.

(Can you tell I'm geeky about this stuff :D )

the highway police in Italy have a Lamborghini
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    actaully what would be cool is one cop car in the General Lee Scheme....
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

I'm pretty sure all current Impalas and Crown Vics are 8 cylinder cars, especially based on the fuel figures Moose posted.

I think the Chargers will be very suitable replacements to the Crown Vics and Chargers...

From today's Newsday:

You should be able to see some if you go to NYPD Shop 4 in Maspeth. (58 Street between BQE & LIE).

Several years ago the Queens DA gave Highway two mustangs they confiscated from drag racers on cross bay boulevard. The State Troopers have a nice corvette which I think is being used on Long Island now.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i thought the state still used camaros..
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.