Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stop bitching about the Heat!!

Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter and Thursday is supposed to be like today... oh vey

Somewhat O/T but with this heat, and ConEd's admittance that it's very likely for there to be another power outage, the only question being when, I don't see how some of the power grids will be able to withstand this kind of heat for 3 straight days...

I can say that the DL terminal at LGA was doing it's part today though. When I stepped off the plane, the terminal lights were off, and the only lights on were the ones near the stores or bathrooms, and a scattered one here and there. At first I think people were thinking "oh no, not again"...

100 here is not comparable to 100 in the desert, or out in the West. In Colorado, we hit the mid-90s a lot during the summer, and just East of where I am located, on the plains, it will hit 100+ a lot. Although that is hot, and is definately not comfortable, it's a dry heat, with dewpoints many times in the 20s and 30s (compared to dewpoints in the 60s and 70s here)... Humidity + Heat is really what makes the situation dangerous and unbearable...

The only advantage of the dry-heat is that sweat dries quickly! When I was flying this summer in Colorado, we had a string of very hot days (mid 90s). With no air conditioning in the plane, and a bubble cockpit, we easily hit 115+ degrees during flight. I'd step out of the airplane, and the back of my flight suit would be soaking wet, and the seat would be soaking wet, but within literally 5 minutes, both would be completely dry!

Uhh...

Tommy tell them that the humidity was way up as well. I like it hot!!..but only up to about 105. We had thunderstorms in the afternoon and it was the stickiest week I think we've had all year.

But now the system has pushed east and we are sitting in 101 degree with a low of 76 and it feels good again.

I just wish the heat distortion would disappear!!

Sun Block and plenty of water guys!!

Dave

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    ok

Highheels just called me at 1300 to let me know our electricity is out in our area.....so....

considering she's pregnant, now can I BITCH?

I may very well check into a hotel tonight.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

You can bitch about the power, just don't bitch about the temperature. :)

Some parts of Astoria are out again now. :(

99 at LGA right now, 105 Heat Index, air temp reached 101 last hour.

94 at JFK, 106 Heat Index.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I seek cooler temps by sitting down the family around the on and open oven.

But seriously, it's freezing in my office. Ever feel the need to bring a sweatshirt to work with the outdoor temp is 100+?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    But seriously, it's freezing in my office. Ever feel the need to bring a sweatshirt to work with the outdoor temp is 100+?
    My office is usually borderline cold (which I like) but it feels like they turned down the a/c the past couple days.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

From Crain's. I'll be very perturbed if I have to walk home today.

Con Ed asks Midtown East to reduce power
    by Catherine Tymkiw

Another day of dangerously high temperatures brought new power troubles on Thursday.

Electrical equipment problems, reportedly with a transformer, prompted Consolidated Edison to urge its customers in Midtown East to discontinue using non-essential electrical appliance and equipment until the equipment is fixed.

Con Ed spokesman Alfonso Quiroz was unable to confirm the problem was transformer-related but said “it’s not unusual” to ask customers to reduce power use while equipment is fixed.

The utility is asking all residents and businesses between 40th and 14th streets from Fifth Avenue to the East River to shut off any unused or unnecessary appliances.

Outages throughout the five boroughs and Westchester County left 23,700 customers in the dark on Wednesday, according to the Associated Press, but by early Thursday morning, Con Ed said that number was sharply reduced to 5,600 customers.

One customer can equate anywhere from a one-person household to a large office tower.

Meanwhile, the National Weather Service is calling for a high of 98 degrees on Thursday, but with the heat index, it will feel closer to 106.

On Wednesday, records were broken at LaGuardia Airport, which hit 102, breaking a 51-year high, and Islip, L.I., which broke a one-year record at 98 degrees. Newark, N.J., tied its record -- set in 1955 -- at 100 degrees.

High temperatures also brought record electricity output. Con Ed set a new record load of 13,141 megawatts late Wednesday, breaking Tuesday’s record of 13,103 megawatts. As of 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, the utility said power demand was 11,778 megawatts.

According to a friend of a friend who works for Con Ed, they are forecasting a high likelihood of a blackout of some substantial scale starting sometime between 5 and 7 tonight. Nothing is definite, no details are known, no word on where/when/how long.

The utility is asking all residents and businesses between 40th and 14th streets from Fifth Avenue to the East River to shut off any unused or unnecessary appliances
    I work at 32nd and Lexington...you'd think my building would make it a bit warmer than 65 degrees.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I feel bad for all Con ed customers. Not to mention there is one bitch of a line of t-storms heading though Jersey right now headed for the city. Loss of power could happen.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

According to same source, Con Ed is sending all their non-essential personnel home to conserve power. :shock:

good luck up there, the weather is a full ten degrees cooler here though. a
    cool down of almost 20 degrees is supposedly on the way though.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"