Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storms

Storms

Some crazy storms here in Mount Vernon right now. Our building got struck and we lost partial power. I don't think I ever had lightning strike so close to me, and certainly the loudest I've ever heard. Cool stuff.

Radar shows a lot of red clusters moving across the area.

I figure this will be one of many more this summer. Share your storm experiences, yo.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I'm at One Liberty Plaza right now, and this morming around 8:30 it was eerily dark, but that yellowish dark if that makes sense. Quite scary.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

This morning when I got to work (midtown), it literally looked like it was 11pm. The thunder has been incredible!

Last week though, I think those were some of the worst storms I've ever seen. Phil and I sat by our open window and watched as lightening struck repeatedly within blocks of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    This morning when I got to work (midtown), it literally looked like it was 11pm.
    I noticed the same thing (also working in midtown). If it weren't for the fact that I would probably get killed, I would have liked to set up a photo shooting north up 6th Avenue. You could see the sky go from gray overhead to near-black at the horizon.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

I've seen more lightning strikes this summer than I've seen in my whole life in NYC.

I was on the LIRR during this morning's bad storm...as I was looking out the door window, a thick bolt of lightning came down and hit something right in my line of view less than a 1/4 mile away. It was the second time I'd ever exclaimed "HOLY ****" while traveling via public transport...the first time being when I saw a girl get hit by a car.

There's another couple hours of "red" on the Doppler coming right at us.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    yesterday morning, the first lighting storm of the day lightning actually hit LGA, down by B and M intersections near the DL building. aside form that, college point and the sound were definitaly hit a few more times than that...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

yeah my folks back up in NY have been telling me that. Call me weird but I am a bit of a storm freak. I love that stuff. Thank goodness for the time being I still live in Florida where it is every single day by 2 P.M. like clockwork. Fun stuff. Too bad I have not bought a digital camera yet, Justin Idle, and Joey Collura keep bugging me to though lol.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

There's a ridonkulous line of storms heading our way. Severe thunderstorm watches in effect for the entire metro area, warnings in effect for Orange and Putnam counties.

All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Flow control delay at EWR and LGA in effect i can picture it now. Bets on delay lengths? Lets see how many eastbounders divert because they cannot get over the tops on these things. Looks like in a few spots you might have a few topping 50,000 feet. FUN FUN FUN!
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Just had some severe thunderstorms pass by my house that lasted for about an hour. It's still raining though. Same thing yesterday, though I enjoyed it being that I was sitting outside with my friend on my hill getting soaked.

Poughkeepsie hasn't gotten much storm activity this summer as the city has gotten.

EDIT: Oh wait, I hear more thunder!

Lets see if these hit us out here in Suffolk, they generally hit the city and die out by the time they reach us. I could go for a good thunderstorm.

Tommy just got a new security blanket that he wants to test out in a new fort that he made with pillows and refrigerator boxes.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    I could go for a good thunderstorm.
    I live in western Nassau, and I'm still disappointed in the storms we've had, though it's interesting to watch planes (through my window) on approach to JFK at night; when there's lightning, you can almost tell the airline.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Tommy just got a new security blanket that he wants to test out in a new fort that he made with pillows and refrigerator boxes.
    Well you did want your's back, and you can't play in my fort! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    you can't play in my fort!
    Yeah, Phil probably destroyed it last time. Ouch.

On a serious note, Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens. Storm is heading straight for JFK.