Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Israel bombs Beirut Airport

Israel bombs Beirut Airport

the Israeli Airforce bombed the Beirut airport today closing it, all flights were diverted to Cyprus.
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

This is going to get alot worse before it gets better. Not good, not good at all.

Yeah I saw that on the TV this morning, there is video of it happening. They didn't actually bomb the whole airport, just put some strategic holes in the dead center of the runway.

I'm all for Israel defending itself, but it seems to me that they've gone insane.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

That's all you need to close and airport for a while...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060713/ap_ ... non_israel

Apparently there's a video on that page, but the link doesn't work on my Mac.

Mel, link doesn't work.

To keep this thread on-topic (since it's in the aviaiton news and not in off-topic), how long are their runways? What airlines fly to Beirut? How long would it take to fix the runways?

Beirut would also like to thank the climbing ability of the 757. Boeing new slogan can be "Craters inthe runway? I thought it was a photographer pit!"
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Beirut is a major airport in the middle east. It was recently redone top to bottom. It can handle basically all kinds of aircraft including 747s. It could take a day to fix the runway and only 2 seconds for Israel to bomb them again. Look for them to stay that way until this conflict is over.

Before Friday's bombing of Beirut airport, the United States helped broker an unusual deal that allowed a runway at the Beirut airport to be repaired long enough to allow a private aircraft carrying Former Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Nakati and five planes from Middle East Airlines to take off.

I figured something like that would happen. I'm sure our "friends" in the middle east are pretty pissed about having their planes stuck there. There are also about 25,000 Americans in Lebanon who need to be evacuated. Maybe they'll fix the runway again to get them out.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

wonder if part of the deal was that the US repaid Israel for the extra bombs it had to use....

As a reminder for this thread, guys, please just keep it aviation related. Post other thoughts and stuff in the Off-Topic forum.

Thanks.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

As someone posted on airliners.net, under international law, civil aviation is not a legitimate target and this act may in fact be illegal. This is not opinion but law folks, if you disagree take it up with the UN and ICAO.

If the airport was harboring militia or was being used as an escape route it by all means is fair game.

The airport was ICAO-certified and, like JFK, LGA, and EWR was being used by tourists and business travelers, and being serviced by many major global airlines who would not be serving it if it was some hotbed of terror activity. It is not a military installation. Using your logic, the NYPD should level the Bronx for harboring criminal gangs.

No using that logic would mean that any airport in the US or the world that has ANG planes based on it wouldn't be a target?

what about SWF? Bradley, even FRA??????????