Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brand new 100-400L woes.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but you don't have to give me the old "shoot in better conditions" speech the n00conversation get.
    "Now Luke, what we have here is a failure to communicate"

Joking aside, perhaps this is just one example of how a post can't properly relay a persons tone and attitude, unlike conversation can.

I was in no way trying to give you a condescending comment, but can only attest how many times I go to a favorite spot to shoot and some days are spot on and others can be a real crap shoot.

Welcome to the gang.
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Definite motion blur on these two:

http://www.cityscenes.net/airport/UPS_752_170.jpg

http://www.cityscenes.net/airport/US_A321_285.jpg

One other can be viewed either as soft or slight motion blur.

Paul
    Expanding Beyond PHL
    http://phlairline.com

How does one solve the problem of motion blur? I seem to have that problem with my little point & shoot every now and then...and getting a DSLR is out of the question. :-)

That looks almost like digital distortion.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

As an update to my little problem. The lenses are going back to B&H tomorrow via UPS. They've agreed to send out replacements same day they get the two faulty ones in.

On the topic of motion blur, I also realized right away some were clearly blurred, including the UPS. Maybe I lost my footing mid-shot on those (all those departure shots were taken from PHL's own "Gravel Lot", which as you can guess is full of loose gravel with lots of depressions and puddles). I figured I should have been relatively safe from motion blur shooting at 1/500 or better, plus having the benefit of IS. Go figure.

On the other hand there's a shot like the DL 757. A whole 180mm and its really soft, but in this case not suffering from motion blur.

Oh well, we'll see what the replacements look like.
    "I think Big Foot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Big Foot is blurry... And that's extra scary to me, because there's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside." - Mitch Hedburg

eh, just get 1.4x and/or 2x for your 70-200 instead imo. The 70-200 both versions are just awesome. Not like the 100-400 is bad, I just personally dont like the push/pull mechanism

He does have a 1.4, barely uses it. I've used it a few times myself. The ratio of soft shots with that thing on is horrible. It's a 200 dollar POS is all I have to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PHL Approach
    He does have a 1.4, barely uses it. I've used it a few times myself. The ratio of soft shots with that thing on is horrible. It's a 200 dollar POS is all I have to say about it.
    really? hmmm. I have a 1.4x on my 70-200 f/4 and it works very well without a noticeable drop in quality. The 2x is pretty noticeable though