Thread: AA 757 with Winglets

AA 757 with Winglets

Does American still have winglets on three of their 752's? I have been wanting to get one, but there never seems to be any at JFK. I work at the terminal and have only seen one once and, of course, I didn't have my camera. Does anyone know the schedule for those birds? Do they even still have the winglets? I know AA was just testing them out, maybe they didn't do as well as planned. Any help you guys can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

I know that occasionally a 752 with winglets comes into JFK...it's possible that it would come into LGA sometime, too. Both are rare, and it's really just plain luck as there's no way of tracking them besides by the regis.

As a matter of fact, Eric just got a shot of one in Boston last week or so. :)

Yes AA does still have 752s with winglets, if I'm correct I believe they have five of them right now. You won't have to wait to long to see more of them. AA will be adding winglets to all their 752s and 738s, all but the EX TWA 752s.

American Airlines actually got rid of their wingleted aircraft. In fact, they swapped all their 757 aircraft with Western Airlines for Convair 240s, as seen here:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0213280/L/
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    American Airlines actually got rid of their wingleted aircraft. In fact, they swapped all their 757 aircraft with Western Airlines for Convair 240s, as seen here:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0213280/L/
    Well if you ever flew their 757s you'd know that Convair is an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Yes AA does still have 752s with winglets, if I'm correct I believe they have five of them right now. You won't have to wait to long to see more of them. AA will be adding winglets to all their 752s and 738s, all but the EX TWA 752s.
    Actually not all of the 757's will be recieving winglets, at least not yet. AA ordered 20 sets for the 757. The 757's with winglets are normally used on the longer routes that AA deploys the 757 - none of which are from JFK. Airports that currently have good chances of seeing winglet 757's are BOS and LAX (domestically) and MAN and SNN (internationally).

As for the 737's, AA tested one pair on 974AN, Fleet 3DG. After crunching the numbers they decided that it was beneficial and decided to order an additional 76 pairs for the rest of the 737 fleet. Currently 3DG is the only 737 sporting the winglets.

As for them in the NY area - I only know of the 757 visiting JFK a few times and LGA only once (could very well be more). The 737 has been to LGA numerous times. They pose problems for gates at LGA because of the slightly extra wingspan they add - as we all know LGA is very tight on space. It may not seem like a lot, but they can throw coodinators and planners a curve becuase if you have a winglet plane on one gate it affects what plane can be on the next gate.
    ATP MEL, Commercial Pilot ASEL & ASES, CFII
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    , ATR-42, ATR-72, LR-JET, LR-60
    AGI & IGI
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true

I have not seen the 757 with winglets in LGA yet but Matt I think there maybe 3 738's now, at least two, either 902 or 904 was right in front of me last week and I think I saw three that afternoon. Perhaps CE can confirm, there is probably something is Sabre DECS that shows which ones.

Cheers

LGA777

There could very well be more than one 737 already. I shall try and find out tomorrow - if you look each aircrafts info up in DECS I believe it says if the a/c is winglet equipped.

Im pretty sure the 757 was there once doing an MIA turn - Ill try and confirm.
    ATP MEL, Commercial Pilot ASEL & ASES, CFII
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    , ATR-42, ATR-72, LR-JET, LR-60
    AGI & IGI
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true