Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: F14's are Coming!

did anyone manage to get the last one landing... it was so amazing...it kind of looked like a soft feild landing the way he was holding it off, on the main landing gear??... quite possibly one of hte most amazing things i have seen.. almost compated to the space shuttle take off!!!

I got it

Here are some more

I wish I could make the departure...I am soooo tired!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Great shots! Moose I love the way you are working that tie!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    just a few unedited shots from last evening and this morning.

I spent about a half hour with a Grumman rep. who explained these will never fly again(come September), not even in airshows, b/c they are first strike aircraft.

As an aside, this Grumman rep. allowed me rampside in order to beat the crowds and get some shots. This was very early this morning. So now, as I am leaving, I thanked him and walked to my car and climbed the roof of my car to take a few parting shots.

As I do this, a volunteer parking lot guy walks up to me to say "two things: who are you and what are you doing" This guy was obviously some ex-military, probably an MP, sporting his buzzcut. (realize I have just left the ramp and am not in the parking lot). After I gave him my card and menioned I was leaving, he declined my card and asked me to leave as the parking lot was to close.

Is there some unwritten rule that you have to be obnoxious to people? And while I gave him my card and introduced myself, do you lack the grey matter to realize what I was doing? I'll never understand why people are so rude.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

He used to be very nice until he took so much crap from visitors. He is
    the Safety Officer at the Museum and was told that he had to fill out a ton
    of crap from homeland security about people taking pictures. I do think
    he is very bossy and do not like his new attitude but certainly understand
    why he is that way. In the past before the big fences went up, people
    would just walk onto the ramp at night and inspect the aircraft
    unsupervised..... Ahhhhh, the good old days!!!! The problem with that
    was, a small few would start touching aircraft!!!! I have YELLED at a few
    people in the past because they would let their small children PLAY with
    the aircraft. It is ALL about respect. The crowds showed him NONE for
    quite some time, so now he does his job without worry about how we feel
    about it. I do not blame him at all. I do not like it, but I still can not
    blame him.

You should see how stressful it is for him when vintage warbirds are
    starting up and people duck under and go in-front of the cones and start
    to walk up to RUNNING AIRCRAFT! What I see there amazes me and to
    see some people have NO RESPECT for what they do! I have talked to
    him many times....Now he is rude to me too..... He is that way to
    everyone and tells people no pictures by the fence because with hundreds
    of people lined up and cars going by with parents not watching their
    children run into the road....well, Lots of reasons. But just go on my
    word on this one Mario... He love aviation very much, he can not be
    friendly to people chit chat or go into a long explanation or someone WILL
    get hurt when he is deeply involved. He can not show any favoritism and
    will be the same rude ass to everyone else. It may be the only reason
    this place may survive!!! At least I hope so.

I Love to hate him now! He really is a good guy!!! (I know, you could be
    civil and nice....NOT, crowds will walk over him...He found out the hard
    way)
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Oh, and I got threatened to be kicked out by him yesterday if I picked
    the camera up in the parking lot at all and I was a paying customer!!!

Fred, I'll tell you the other part of the story when I see you,. I can certainly see that point of view.

There was a bit more to our conversation that I will tell you about later. I just felt he was unecessarily obnoxious. But I will let you judge that later.

By the way, for those catching the departure, my source wont let them leave before 1300. AND they are using Runway 1-19
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

Derf,

I hate you and all your well connected friends. You need to give lectures in schmoozing and networking. Nice shots by the way!

Phil, love the F-14 crossover shot on the runway.

Mario, I knew I should have gone back over to the Museum for the sunset shots. Looks like you noticed the FLIR pod reflection shot like me. In my case it would have been much better without the crowds though.

I heard the same about 1-19. Even if they take off from 14-32 their flyby's will still be on 1-19. The best spot would be in the parking lot behind Home Depot against the fence becasue the sun will be partially behind you. That's wher I'll be.

As far as the pompous ass that is the head of security at the Museum. Perception is reality and I have never known him to be anything other than rude and obnoxious. Obviously this guy is a former police officer and or MP and if he acted like that on the job he would have never lasted. Now I have seen people act like complete imbeciles in his presence which would warrant his discontent. But, regardless of the responsibilities that come with the position he holds you have to assess each situation individually. I have had clashes with him in the past and will continue to show him total disrespect as that is all he has ever shown me.
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

Great job by everyone on the photos...looking forward to this afternoon's departure.

As to everyone's favorite security/safety officer, yes, maybe he's rude and obnoxious because some people don't pay attention to him, but he needs to remember that while he may be responsible for keeping things safe, he is also in the public relations business. You can be firm but remain polite and respectful; when you are rude, right or wrong, you can end up pissing off the paying customers, which may result in their not returning, and telling their friends about the terrible treatment they received at the museum, the bottom line being a loss in customers and much needed revenues. While I was there yesterday, there were lots of volunteers asking people to use caution, remain behind ropes, etc.; none of them were rude to the customers - it can be done.

I dont know if we are all talking about the same guy, tall skinny, buzzcut, aviator glasses.

But, as everyone else has said, in my defense, yes, the guy could had and should have done his job without being rude. His attitude says he's nothing more than a boyscout with limited authority.

Meanwhile, I'd just stepped off the ramp, after having coffee with the Tomcat crew chief, who was extremely good, letting many people take pictures this morning. And yet what, was the boyscout trying to prove something?

There is no reason for it, thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by MORS-AB-ALTO
    [img]Derf,

I hate you and all your well connected friends. You need to give lectures in schmoozing and networking. Nice shots by the way!
    Ommm, I did not use a well connected friend.... ..... here are some more of the many! Wish I had more than a FEW HOURS!!! I would have been allowed to stay for the sunrise if I did not have a loving family :lol:

Just got back from watching the departure...OH.MY.GOD!!!

They took of on Rwy 32 and cranked it around over Home Depot and the shopping center north of the field. They then came around from the north, and made two passes down Rwy 19. First time by they were close together, about 200ft up, wings back & full burner...next time they had the wings spread, and when they got to the approach end, they plugged in the burners, pointed their noses up, and rocketed away.

Pictures to follow once I get this huge grin off my face!

I heard them, I look forward to it

By chance, anyone catch any VIDEO??

Lead aircraft on departure - he took off on Rwy 32 and is turning over the top of Dave & Buster's just north of Rwy 1/19:

Here's his wingman - he turned over Home Depot, and passed across the departure end of Rwy 1, landing gear still on the way up:

High speed, low level:

Afterburners, baby!

Heading off into the wild blue yonder one last time:

Great shots John! How I wish I could have been there.

Mario, I agree, someone has to have video of this somewhere.