Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AA 762 Fire @ LAX

AA 762 Fire @ LAX

- well it seems like today ( june 2, 2006) an American Airlines Boeing 767-223 engine blew up outside its base in LAX these pics on jp net http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php ... rch=N330AA show the damage it casued to the wing- and in one shot it looked like 2 windows - and the peeling paint at the end of the plane - after looking at these pics do you think this plane will fly agian??? and from what i heard that AA is phasing out the 762 imput is welcome in this thread.
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

No, I do not think that this plane will fly again if they are thinking of getting rid of just one plane. The entire back for that side looks like it needs to be reskinned and the entire wing looks like it needs to be reworked! This is a really big engine problem that NEVER should have happened. I am going nuts here trying to figure what happened.....Look like a disc failure to me and the odds of that happening are insanely low.... I will be watching this very closley and will let you guys know what I can find out!!!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Yeah that bird is def done! The damage to the wing alone is pretty severe. She's almost 20 years old so the cost to repair her probably wouldn't make sense.

The pics are removed now from JP and A.net. Wonder why. There went that photographer's only photo (and a very popular one at that) on A.net. Makes me wonder if he was forced to remove it by AA.

-Justin
    "Who said white things weren't big?" - 100-400L IS

had to be removed because there is an investigation underway, he was asked to remove them by authorities, he passed the message on to the screeners and we had them removed.

the AA incident in LAX sounds similar to an incident in PHL where a USAirways 767-200ER was w/o after an engine let go during a high power engine run .

Here is a picture of the same aircraft during dismantling at PHL http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0272012/L/

An engine letting go is no big deal on a safety standpoint.... A disc letting go, shooting through the aircraft and into the other engine on the other hand will usually rock the industry. The Odds of a disc letting go are unreal and I can think of three instances were a disc let go...

UAL DC-10 Souix City
    DAL MD-80 Florida
    747 Kalleta Cargo

Blades blowing out are contained by the containment ring....the mass of a disc is unstoppable and as seen in the posted pictures....tore the underside of the aircraft and went into the other engine rendering it inop as show by the great pictures...

I could not give a ratts ass about this airframe and is far as I am concerned it is a non issue on if it will fly or not..... Why this catastrophic failure happened and taking precautions to ensure that this will have the lowest probability of happening again should be the only thing this industry cares about.

my .02c
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Since the pics were removed I'll post these for those who haven't seen them. If you've seen these already, sorry.

Mike

WOW luckly no one was hurt or killed!!!!
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

AA 762 Fire @ LAX

hey is it me or when i look at those pics - the way the ornage reflects of the plane - it looks like the pics were taken during the fire, also one thing i gotta ask you mike is if those other pics of 330 were removed- why would yours be on - are you allowed to do that. and also what is your job at AA if indeed you do work for them.
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Wow, talk about asking too many questions. lol

The orange is just the effect from taking night shots. I'll let Mike answer the other questions, if he chooses to. I feel that some of your questiosn are a little personal, and quite frankly, not your business.

My question, though, is what exactly was gong on here? Was this effect intentional? They were testing the engien right? Was it airborne or was this going on in the hangar?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Was it airborne or was this going on in the hangar?
    Apparently it was parked infront of the AA hangar doing engine run ups when the engine "exploded".

Was it airborne or was this going on in the hangar?
    been alot worse than that if it was airborne...

Re: AA 762 Fire @ LAX

Quote Originally Posted by N790SW
    hey is it me or when i look at those pics - the way the ornage reflects of the plane - it looks like the pics were taken during the fire, also one thing i gotta ask you mike is if those other pics of 330 were removed- why would yours be on - are you allowed to do that. and also what is your job at AA if indeed you do work for them.
    Im allowed to do whatever I want, I'm Mike, don't you know that :)

Those are not my pics and the orange glow seems to be from the lights above not flames. I got them from an email in another forum and since they came via attachments the only way to show you guys to upload them. If they are no longer viewable later on you'll know I got an email asking for them to be removed ;)

Mike

I'll let Mike answer the other questions, if he chooses to. I feel that some of your questiosn are a little personal, and quite frankly, not your business.
    Since I don't work for AA no big deal but if I did, I'd say FU (not U Phil), it's none of your business hahahaha :)

Mike