Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Jones Beach Airshow (offical meetup thread)

Okay, I'll be the first to admit my pics are not as good as Fred's...didn't help I was on the wrong side of the fence so to speak, as well as the other side of the runway. Nevertheless, I submit my shots...again, thanks to the wife for driving me, and sticking it out on arguably the warmest day so far this year.

Mike Mancuso and the Klien Tools Extra 300

A-10 Thunderbolt

Red Barons Demo Team Break to Land

Fat Albert Break to Land

Fat Albert Military Approach

Blue Angels Break

Blue Angels #6 Break

John
    Patchogue, NY

good stuff there, The A-10 shot was Tops!!!! BRAVO!. I also really like the nose down of Fat Albert! Sweet stuff.

Sorry Chris for screwing up our shot of Fat Alberts break, that was awesome...or would have been an awesome shot from where we were!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I'll be at show center to the left of the lifegaurd stand when your looking at the water. I'll find Steve, hopefully we can designate a meetup place or something.
    Scott Snorteland
    http://www.srsimages.com

J/w what was there at the airshow
    "Regardless of where you go or what you do with the rest of your life,
    you can always know that when fate chose
    you for the ultimate test, you were not found wanting".

Captain William Kinkead in a letter to the crew of TWA Flight 843

After reading that a bit more carefully, I see what you mean.

Man, what a show. Over 300,000 people. I didn't think Jones Beach could max out, but there you go. Cars backed up to the mainland and they were turning them all away. I tried to meet up with you guys, but I just couldn't make it through the crowd. And Scott I left your cell # at home, so I had no way of finding you. I hung out by the east end of the boardwalk under an awning by the Army National Guard so my horrible sunburn from saturday wouldn't get any worse. Got a bunch of free stuff from them, too. Soon as I get my pics developed I'll post the good ones here.

Everything was great, but Sean Tucker just isn't Sean Tucker without the Challenger. Still put on a good little act with what he had, though.

Fred...green pants, "Anytime, Baby!" Tomcat shirt with black and white shirt over that, Nikon F3 260mm lens and Pro 97 scanner w/ headphones. I had an ice cream cone at one point. Descriptive enough?

And sometime after the Heritage flight I heard on my scanner something about someone landing with an "engine malfunction" at FRG. Any info on that?
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

If you are referring to today, Sunday. Viper 1, the F16 did land at FRG with an "engine emergency." Even after he landed, on 32, he told tower immediate 180 on the runway and taxi to LI Jet Center, he advised the F16 to hold short of the active runway 1 for the A10 doing a Low pass, he shot back, I AM DECLARING EMERGENCY STATUS AND WILL TAXI RIGHT NOW TO WHERE THE A-10's ARE PARKED. The A-10 did an adjusted low-pass and that was all I heard. Pics of said F16 landing @ FRG to come later tonight.

What a great day! Weather was about perfect, lots of great flying, afterburners!!!

Got to hang out all day with Fred, Chris, Tommy and his friends. Nice to meet Steve & Scotty. Now all I have is about 800 photos to go through (I know, Fred, I'm a slacker!)

Nick - you have to come out next year!

Gee Moose don't be so hard on yourself. I'm the slacker here, I only have to sift through 324 from today, total of 611 for the weekend. Plus an hour's worth of video clips. ;)

Oh man talk about a great freaking day!! All around it was great. Good group of guys and it was great to finally meet Steve and Scotty. As always Fred, Moose, and Chris...good time with you guys. I wonder if the Airforce knows that Fred's shutter finger is faster then the A10's main gun??? They might want to hire him, ahahaha

Does anyone know what time the Blue Angels are departing tomorrow?

I messed up some shots today and was hoping for one more chance :)

Thanks

Tommy, John, Fred great day with you guys!!!!! Im still going through all my pics... 2,100 Fred lol, but thats from the whole weekend... I don't even compare to you i gotta change the settings on my camera, i have them up too high :cry: i was unhappy with most of my shots..

Chris these look great. Its prob not your camera or your technique. The setup of the show and the light was not in line. The show was in front of us and the sun was to the left then overhead and then to the right and the sky was white vs blue. Certainly a challenge to shoot in, I think the polarizing filter I was using helped in some cases. See Fred I didn't stop the prop, hehe, Fred was yelling at me for stopping the props. Here's a few

I took a shot or two, I will tally up the totals later tonight...but here are two of the blues I liked

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Sorry Greg, the Blues are already gone. They departed FRG about 5 pm. I managed to get there from the beach about 5 minutes before they cranked up.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    great photos guys!

higheels and I were at FRG from about 1040 onward. My dad joined us an hour later.

Saw the F16 landing and we just thought it was an extra treat. Actually, we could see him streaking west along the coastline as he went to meet formation for the heritage tour. 15 minutes later, it was just a surprise to have him here.

Got a few decent shots here and there but I was just thrilled to finally see an A-10 in action. I just love them.

PLus it was nice to finally hang out with my dad and see a part of the airshow, something that he hadnt dont together in 20 years.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187