Thread: I'm Taken Back (Please Read)

I'm Taken Back (Please Read)

So I had to share this with everyone because I think tonight I was honored by someone who owes us citizens nothing but we owe him our eternal gratitude.

I'm in Tulsa, O.K right now just having got off AA485 from ORD. I decided to upgrade to first class because it only ran $100. That is a trip report for a different post, but it was worth it. As I was sitting waiting to push back the seat next to me was empty and I was hoping it would remain empty, however it didn't.

Before push back a gentleman from the U.S Army sat down, having been in coach the FAs invited him to sit in First. After we took off we engaged in conversation and I learned he was returning from duty in Germany with the 1st armored division. He was coming home for a week to visit family because his Grandmother just passed away. We talked about a bunch of different things and like I always try to do I extend my thanks and appreciation for his service to our country.

He expressed his thanks and began to tell me that more and more when he runs into people he's not thanked but rather cursed at and is told he should be ashamed for taking part in the Iraq conflict. I almost choked when he told me that still happens. My god these are fighting men on the lines who have sworne to defend our country. Need I remind us of 9/11 and why these men are overseas?

Now I'll say I was truly honored to share my evening with this fine gentleman but when we were getting off the plane he proceeded to remove is unit patch from his uniform and handed it to me and said "thanks for supporting us." I have to say I have never been so honored in my life. As I'm writing this I'm looking at his patch and I'm still shocked that bewildered by his gesture. To describe the patch it’s a triangle shape with a 1 at the top, a set of treads with a lightning bolt through a cannon, and on the bottom it reads "Old Ironsides." He was greeted by no less then 20 people upon coming out of the gate area, wonderful sight. Sorry for going on but I’m really blow away right now. This is one business trip that I'll never forget.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Tom, that is a great experience.

He gave you his patch, that is truly an honor, and he's the one blown away right now.

That is one of the reasons I still hold a position at the VA> I meet some of hte best who served for us.

Thanks Tom. I feel like I was there with you.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Tom--
    what a great guy. I am glad you were able to share that experience with him and for him to tell you the stories, I am sure he appreciated your thanks and support.

Very nice of him to give you his patch. Truly an Honor.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

That is a great thing to keep as a memory! It doesn't happen often at all!!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Great experience Tom! I had a similiar experience last Dec 7th at the Pearl Harbor ceremony at FRG. I walked up two men that were at Pearl Harbor and thanked them for their courage. That morning had to be hell for everyone there. These two men were so young and had to wake up the worst attack and then fight and lose friends in the process. All in the name of freedom. It's all these men and woman that make it possible for us to live in this country and be free we owe them all a lot.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    don't know what to say here. tom, i know what you're feeling. i've seen it happen hundreds of times already... always warms your heart and makes you stop to think.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.