Thread: Heli-STAT Crash video

Heli-STAT Crash video

This is from the late 70s, but perhaps most here have never seen it.

5ld2kAUv ... ch=airship

A very unfortunate attempt at combination of rotor and lighter-than-air technology.

- Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Cool video Tom, thanks for sharing it.

Man, Lakehurst just has ****ty lucky with big balloons.

I assume those men died(?) :(
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Man, Lakehurst just has ****ty lucky with big balloons.

:(
    Funny you mention that Phil.

Actually, there is *big* news coming out of Lakehurst very soon. Not simply an announcement, but actual flights will have begun. :)

AS for the men in that video, I don't remember it they died, but I would have to believe some did. Its unforgivable, in my mind, what Piasecki oversaw there. Clearly that "aircraft" was doomed - the choppers detached within seconds.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I also don't understand what the purpose would have been of those machines. What would their role have been? Be a giant and slow target roaming over enemy lines?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I also don't understand what the purpose would have been of those machines. What would their role have been? Be a giant and slow target roaming over enemy lines?
    On the canvass of the balloon it read "U.S Forest Service." So I doubt is was for some military use. Perhaps the forest service was looking for some kind of observation tool to spot forest fires. It looked like something put together in someones backyard.

I was thinking they were using those heavy duty choppers to do some heavy lifting, maybe water buckets.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    I was thinking they were using those heavy duty choppers to do some heavy lifting, maybe water buckets.
    Very close - It was to be used for heavy lift in logging for remote areas.

Not a bad idea actually. More recently Cargo-Lifter in Europe was onto this as well. A far more responsible venture, (i.e. not a Mr. Potato Head "aircraft" -- this video reminds me of something from Those amazing men and their flying machines" from the 1930s - or earlier). and they got much further along, but the start up costs are enormous so not likely to happen, unless underwritten by govt.

As it stands, the Walrus hyrbrid -more along the lines of what Phil was figuring - is "cancelled", but that was to be expected. The homework was done and we'll see what transpires. The study of high altitude anti-missle etc platforms I believe is continuing, and I think Zepplin NT is still offering excursions in Germany.

I think we'll see all of these applications eventually - Heavy Lift - possibly including large troop and equipment carriers, and high altitude un-manned millitary platforms of one sort or another.

Far less likely, I would guess, is WIG hydrofoil hybrid applications.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Googled heli-stat. Sadly one pilot died in the heli-stat crash, three received serious injuries and one minor injury. Aircraft lost throttle control to one engine due to a missing pin. Rigid landing gear contributed to the collapse of the helicopter mounting structure.