Thread: I got bad news...

I got bad news...

Coming home from school yesterday, I got into an automobile accident on Route 1. I ended up rear-ending the car in front of me, which had slammed on their brakes to avoid the car in front of them (which they did successfully), but I ended up skidding and hitting their rear bumper.

I'm ok, have some lower back pain and neck pain, my truck took a hit but is somewhat driveable (I drove it back home from the accident scene, which was another 45 miles) - front bumper is caved in at the center, the grill is somewhat smashed, and my turn signal lights and amber reflectors are damaged. No fluid leakage, which is real good.

I ended up getting an $85 ticket for careless driving (plus two points) and have the option to either pay the ticket and take the points or go to court to try to get the points taken off, but probably pay several hundred dollars more. I think I'm gonna pay the ticket and take the points.

Sorry to hear, Steve. I'm glad you're ok.

Those situations are tough to fight. I recommend that you just pay the ticketany tkae a course or whatever you gotta do to get the points taken off.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

They give you a ticket for an accident? The reason why its called an accident because its a freaken accident!!! You didn't go out and intentionally drive careless and decided to hit someone. NJ traffic laws never fail to amaze me. I'd fight it in court, absolutely ridiculous they gave you a ticket. :roll: Totally amazing, good to hear though no one was hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    They give you a ticket for an accident? The reason why its called an accident because its a freaken accident!!! You didn't go out and intentionally drive careless and decided to hit someone.
    Yeah, but it's your responsibility to maintain sufficient distance and attention to avoid the car in front of you.

Steve, if this is a first offense, can you enroll in one of those defensive driver classes? I don't have any points/accidents, but I take one every 3 years and get a discount from my insurance company (USAA - most do the same). If I remember, you can also get points removed by taking the class. It may be worth looking into to see if you can avoid points, etc. by agreeing to take the class.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    I don't have any points/accidents, but I take one every 3 years and get a discount from my insurance company (USAA - most do the same). If I remember, you can also get points removed by taking the class. It may be worth looking into to see if you can avoid points, etc. by agreeing to take the class.

Does USAA really lower your insurance everytime you take the class? I thought it was a one time deal.
    About how much do they lower your insurance by? That's a pretty sweet deal, I'll have to look into it!

Oh and I love USAA, they've got the cheapest rates by far over everyone else, especially since I'm under 25 and I've only been insured under my car (for a year), and they seem like just a really good company in general.

I have USAA, too (leftover from the military)...they've done me right so far. I'm under 25 and the rate has continued to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    Does USAA really lower your insurance everytime you take the class? I thought it was a one time deal.
    About how much do they lower your insurance by? That's a pretty sweet deal, I'll have to look into it!

Oh and I love USAA, they've got the cheapest rates by far over everyone else, especially since I'm under 25 and I've only been insured under my car (for a year), and they seem like just a really good company in general.
    Forget how much of a discount I get, but it's good for 3 years, then you need to take the class again.

I first signed up with USAA while I was in UPT in Columbus, MS. We bought a new car, and the local agent for the company we had was closed for the weekend. The dealer told us about USAA, and with one phone call we had insurance coverage the same day.

Since then I've had all my insurance through them, financed 2 cars, a home-equity loan and credit cards with them. Outstanding customer service, great rates, and quick and fair settlements on claims. And the membership rebate checks are a nice bonus!

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    In New Jersey, AAA runs defensive driver classes - they pack the whole thing into 8 hours on a weekend day, and you don't have to be a member. It takes off 2 points, and costs $50-60 (at least, it did when I worked there about 4 years ago). Glad to hear everyone and everything's OK (if a little dinged up). Was this on the Middlesex County portion of Route 1?

Steve, for sure go to court!

Its well worth your time to do so, some to many of the judges will help with the points (we all know that the price of the ticket is nothing compaired to the points)

Just explane what happened, you should do fine.
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

It was in Middlesex county...and I still haven't decided what I'd do regarding the ticket and points. I'll probably just pay it and take the points and let that be a lesson.

I would fight it.... they will probably get rid of the points at least. That should be worth taking the day off. From many cops....NEVER PLEAD GUILTY. You get the worst period. If you have more than one ticket...they almost always give you some kind of break.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I can not understand why you need to pay a few hundred dollars more to go to court...I am missing something
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I had the same thing happen to me back in 2001, I took it to court and drew up a picutre and explaned what happend. In the end the ticket was throwen out and I got away scott free. It was a shame because the van I was driving (2000 Dodge Caravan) took on about 5K worth of damage, and the Van I hit had squat. I at the time forgot my walet at home thus not driving with a drivers licence too, thankfully the cop over looked the matter and didnt ticket me for that.
    "Clark Kent is Superman's critique of the whole human race." -- Bill.

In college I got a ticket in Pennsylvania for doing 81 in a 55. The ticket was $180 and they made you pay it first to plead not guilty. Then if you were found not guilty in court, they refunded the money. Shelling out $180 in college sure was painful. Maybe Jersey does the same thing.
    I've only gotten two tickets in my life and both times I pled not guilty. Some people say the courts will throw the book at you for this, but in my experience if you are courteous and respectful, they'll reduce the ticket somehow.
    Good Luck.