Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I need some advice!

Quote Originally Posted by jakbar
    Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    Poor generalizations like this is what leads to these pointless discussions about this topic that has been beaten to death. I can't believe after 2 years this topic continues. The screeners at anet have no alterior motives, they don't get their rocks off by rejecting rather than accepting or anything else. Johan has set the bar a certain way and that's it. I think the reason more and more new photographers are being frustrated is not because of their photos rejected, but more because this mindset has been created that the anet screeners have all these little quirks on what they like and what they will accept. I think if you stick to the basics of both taking the picture and editing the picture you will find that all of this talk is complete BS. I take a very basic approach to PS and I get results that anet still accepts. Of course when you attempt harder shots like nose shots and close ups it will be harder to achieve the motive and quality anet accepts. Which is what you would expcect. Don't confuse new and intermediate photographers into thinking anet's screeners won't give a shot a fair shake because a certain shot is not a full body side on or a perfect close up nose shot, because then photographers that are learning are going to have the same narrow minded attitude and instead of trying to improve the shot they will just complain about the rejection.
    I am in absolute and total greement with every word of your post.
    Wow.

Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Quote Originally Posted by jakbar
    Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    Poor generalizations like this is what leads to these pointless discussions about this topic that has been beaten to death. I can't believe after 2 years this topic continues. The screeners at anet have no alterior motives, they don't get their rocks off by rejecting rather than accepting or anything else. Johan has set the bar a certain way and that's it. I think the reason more and more new photographers are being frustrated is not because of their photos rejected, but more because this mindset has been created that the anet screeners have all these little quirks on what they like and what they will accept. I think if you stick to the basics of both taking the picture and editing the picture you will find that all of this talk is complete BS. I take a very basic approach to PS and I get results that anet still accepts. Of course when you attempt harder shots like nose shots and close ups it will be harder to achieve the motive and quality anet accepts. Which is what you would expcect. Don't confuse new and intermediate photographers into thinking anet's screeners won't give a shot a fair shake because a certain shot is not a full body side on or a perfect close up nose shot, because then photographers that are learning are going to have the same narrow minded attitude and instead of trying to improve the shot they will just complain about the rejection.
    I am in absolute and total greement with every word of your post.
    Wow.

Phil not even the U.N could have pulled that off!!!! This is some kind of miracle of God. Hey Nick was Michael Landon involed somehow? LOL

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by spacecadet
    They are good at what they do. Other people are good at what they do too. Yet one photographer's photo is accepted and another is rejected. There are reasons for that; it has nothing to do with how good somebody is generally, as several other people have said already.
    This statement makes little sense, please clarify, are you saying one photogs work is welcome and the other who uploads the same quality pic gets rejected for reasons that are not meeting the eye and go against the screening policy? What does anet gain from this? Who are these several other people that also have made this baseless claim?

I'm not going to get into these "hysteria" issues. I'm simply giving an opinion. The people who seem to get so bent out of shape on this sort of thing always seem to be the people on your side of it. I have no emotion whatsoever on this; a.net has no influence at all over my life (except for all the time I spend in the general discussion forum there!).
    Wrong! The people on my side of this argument DO NOT get bent out of shape after a rejection. Quite the contrary, I use a rejection as a way to correct the mistake I made, either in the photograph (by getting out and shooting again) or editing (by editing it again). What gets people that think the way I do bent out of shape is your mindset and propaganda that only brainwashes certain newbies into thinking their rejection is motivated by things other than the screening process and policies.

(I will say there are also some fantastic shots on a.net, some of which were probably taken by people right here. But I remember one day I went through trying to prove much this same point and managed to pick out around 75 nearly identical photos of a Continental 757 sitting on the ground at an airport in identical lighting conditions and with nearly identical backgrounds. I posted them all in one post on the photography forum there, and it was kind of hilarious seeing them all together like that. Oh well, I'm easily amused, I guess.)
    It's sad to see you would waste people's time in av-photo like that. I am still confused as to your point of that post. What is wrong with a tarmac shot of a 757? If you are trying to say that harder shots that just fall short of anet's guidelines are still great well good, then think that and don't upload to anet, just save all the rhetoric too.

Quote Originally Posted by t-bird76
    Phil not even the U.N could have pulled that off!!!! This is some kind of miracle of God. Hey Nick was Michael Landon involved somehow?
    These two men were seen in the Costco lot.

Mark Gordon - "Jonathan what are you looking at ?"

Jonathan Smith - "Peter Max is coming in"

Mark Gordon - "Who are those two guys with the cameras shooting it?"

Jonathan Smith - "Nick and Josh"

Mark Gordon - "It seems our work is done here"
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

'bout damn time!

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1025303/L/

Like I said to Phil, just minutes ago:

ZoMellyRose (10:52:01 PM): haha, scrolling down on an anet screening email is like opening a Willy Wonka Chocolate bar...and hoping for the golden ticket

Beautiful shot and Beautiful weather Mel, it's Phil's loss and the worlds gain !

Congrats

Ron Peel

this might be a bit late for this topic, but just a shortcut for leveling photos that I learned a while back, I think from the airliners.net forums.

use the measure tool (under the eyedropper tool) and draw a line along the edge you want to be horizontal or vertical (ie: horizon, side of a building, lightpost, etc). then go to Image --> Rotate Canvas --> Arbitrary... and the degree measure needed to turn your line horizontal or vertical will already be there.

hope that made sense.

Just wanted to share my excitement that I uploaded 5 photos a couple weeks ago (5 is still my limit on Anet) and all but one (I forgot to upload it as special marking) got accepted at once! What a relief it is to open a screening e-mail from Anet and just have a list of acceptances, instead of reasons you suck!

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?pid=34401

:)

...and thanks for all of the advice guys!