Thread: Strange Helo over LGA

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Strange Helo over LGA

as many of you know, LGA is a waypoint on the published route for helicopters to transit the class B airspace over NYC. as a result, there is a lot of helo traffic that flies overhead. recently, i've been sseing a strange helo pass overhead, one that i can't recognise. what i think it may be is the sikorsky s-92, however i'm not even sure if that is in productions as yet.

some detail: she's big, much bigger than an s-76, yet smaller than say an mh-63. it's a singel rotor and tail boom design, which really leads me to beileve it's a sikorsky, so that rules out a ch-43 or ch-47, though it appears to be that size.

if anyone has any insight, please help me out. i see it about 2 or 3 times on my shift.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Probably an S-92. They are in production and quite a few have been delivered. There are two that are privately owned in the area. I former bigwig from G.E. owns one, and Steven Spielberg bought one although I am not sure if it has been delivered yet.

Corey

Hi Matt.

I have to agree with Corey - Not that many choices out there. Off hand I can only think of the S-92 and there have been some delivered. I believe its been to the West Side Heliport in Manhattan as well. I heard it took up two spaces.

Unless Matt - its an S-62? But that doesn't look quite like an S-76 though.
    I know theres at least one in civil markings thats in our area on rare occasion.

Corey - You're the one that got some shots up at Stewart, right?

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Corey - You're the one that got some shots up at Stewart, right?
    Yeah...was a good time.
    I was up at SWF a few weeks ago and a Black S-92 was doing touch and go's. I didn't get any pics, but apperantly it belongs to a retired GE Exec.

Corey

I've seen some S-92s in my area occasionally. The most recent was N7103N.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=7103N

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    that's it!! i just didn't want to just to conclusions... and needed something to write about on a shift in OPS.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

That's a big ass whirlybird.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9