Thread: Flying of a Different Sort

Flying of a Different Sort

One of the things I end up having to do working at Newsday is host events in our suites at the Coliseum, MSG, Shea, the Ducks, you get the idea. I get to see a bunch of games over the course of a year, but Saturday night I had a new experience. We had a major client who wanted to attend the USHRA Monster Truck Jam at the Coliseum. Since I'm a known "car guy" around the office, they asked me to host. Now, I've seen them on Speed Channel, but I'd never been to one in person - it's definitely an experience! Here are some shots from the show:

They had some trick motorcycle jumping as well -

This guy couldn't stand to look, not surprising since he's only about 50 feet off the ground:

The one real casualty of the night, on the last run of the night:

When did the Redneck rodeo come to town? Kidding, nice pic Moose!

They must pay Gravedigger a lot of money. He seems to be the scapegoat for rollin' over if no one else did accidentally.

I've gone a couple of times, once when I was little and again a few years ago. It's fun to see it once. After that it's boring. I'm pretty sure they always stage a wreck for the last run.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9