Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkish Off Runway at JFK

Turkish Off Runway at JFK

Within the past hour. Not many details, other than apparently no injuries.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

"Regardless of where you go or what you do with the rest of your life,
    you can always know that when fate chose
    you for the ultimate test, you were not found wanting".

Captain William Kinkead in a letter to the crew of TWA Flight 843

Wouldn't the runways be totally clear by now? The snow stopped hours ago giving crews plenty of time to plow, interesting. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

One story I read said the A340 made an 180-degree spin, and there was difficulty towing it due to the snow and ice.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

It was still over by 31L as of this morning at 8:30. Then at some point this morning, they moved it over to Cargo Area C near where CAT parks their 727's. When I saw it early today, it looked like there was a tractor-trailer next to it when it was by 31L, but I have no idea what it was for.

Just got back from JFK...Turkish A340 has no visible damage. Engine 2 and 3 were in reverser position but thats all.

Senga

From a thread over on a.net, it sounds like it was TC-JDL - Senga can you confirm that? If so, I have a shot of her from last November on jp.net:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5629555

Hope Senga doesn't mind me stepping in for him, but I can confirm that it was TC-JDL. It was among the diversions at IAD earlier that day, unfortunately it was overcast when it came in, so the shots were rather crappy. :P

Regatds,
    -Omar S.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    So I have to get this clarified. Did anyone confirm that this plane actually skidded 180 so that she was facing backward by the time she stopped moving?

I dont think anyone really claridied this to be true or not, did they?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Yeah, no plane could do that without turning over or at least breaking a wing off. But the AP said it so it must be true!

Delta MD-80 did it at LGA in 1996. Blown tires, but no other damage.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

WOW lots of Killer landings lately!

:)

Actually the DL MD88 at LGA did a lot more than blow some tires, sheared off the main gear on landing and slid about half way down Runway 13 on it's belly before doing a 180 on the runway, then sliding a little further backwards before sliding off the side right by the Welcome to New York sign, trust me plenty of damage, took around 3 to 4 months to rebuild her ! If not for the torrential downpour at the time of the accident would have been much worse as fuel was Gushing out of the right wing as soon as it came to rest !

Cheers

LGA777

if it weren't for the torrential downpour it properly wouldn't have happened...
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

The rain and a slew of other factors ( as it usually does ) contributed to this .I was working in the ramp tower with Ron that day and watched it unfold. here's a link to the accident report

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_i ... 6964&key=1