Thread: Question: Continental at JFK?

Question: Continental at JFK?

I was searching for flights from New York to Los Angeles when I got back results with flights of Continental from JFK to Houston. Until now I thought that CO's hub in NY is EWR. Have CO been flying from JFK always?

Izhar

I believe when they first took over Eastern they were at JFK for a little bit..but they have returned for a while now..several years at least.. .daily junglejet and 737. Cleveland and Houston I guess.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    WEll, I dont recall the dates, but I can tell you we flew JFK-HNL direct on a Continental DC-10 back in 86.

So they have used JFK at least for a moment in time.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

CO has a few flights into JFK to feed Skyteam related traffic.

they fly out of the DL terminal usually a 737
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Yes,to confirm, I saw a Continental 737 lasnding this afternoon on 31 L at JFK. So they are still at JFK.

IIRC, I also flew Continental on a 737 for JFK-HOU in 1998 and 1999, if I am not mistaken
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

I have also seen Continental Express ERJ's at JFK before.

In the 1980s during the Texas Air years CO flew nonstop from JFK to HNL with a DC-10-30, the flight continued on to Sydney. They operated out of the Eastern Terminal, went the Machinists for Eastern went on strike the re-started Eastern consolidated their NY operations from EWR, LGA and Islip.

Eastern closed the JFK operation in 1989, that's when CO stopped their JFK flights. CO returned to JFK between '98 and 99, first operating from the old IAB, then the New Terminal 4 and now DL's T-2.

CO flies from JFK ERJ's to CLE and 737-500s to IAH.

Also of note, for a number of years (they still might, im not sure) CO operated a several times Weekly nonstop JFK-Havana with a 737-300, it was a public charter which is allowed by the State Department.

CO was flying JFK-Havana instead of EWR-Havana because of a powerfull NJ politician (now NJ's Senator) Bob Menedez, Menedez is a Cuban American representing the Second Largest Cuban Population in the United States (West NY, Union City NJ). Menendez's family were forced from Cuba so he does not have good feelings towards Castro, he had written into Legislation a provision preventing these Public Charters from operating from EWR.

CO also flies to multiple Cuban Destinations from MIA, FLL with 737s, BE-1s etc..

I know Delta also flew JFK-HAV on the 737-800 for a while. (I took the flight)

TOmmy, thanks for that awesome historical reference.

Not only are you right, but now I remember my flight even more vividly.

As I said, I flew that nonstop Continental DC-10 once from JFK-HNL. I was 11 years old and could not understand why the flight board behind the gate said "Honolulu" then "Sydney" underneath.

At the time, I didnt even know where Sydney was!

So I asked someone on board and they explained that once we got to HNL, the plane would take off again and go to Sydney Australia.

And all I remember was being in disbelief. I remember asking my mom how could someone continue to Sydney after spending 10 long hours on the plane??!!

THanks for that memory boost Tom. :)

PS...Highheels and I are taking our 2nd flight to Australia this summer. Imagine the irony. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by STT757
    In the 1980s during the Texas Air years CO flew nonstop from JFK to HNL with a DC-10-30, the flight continued on to Sydney. They operated out of the Eastern Terminal, went the Machinists for Eastern went on strike the re-started Eastern consolidated their NY operations from EWR, LGA and Islip.

Eastern closed the JFK operation in 1989, that's when CO stopped their JFK flights. CO returned to JFK between '98 and 99, first operating from the old IAB, then the New Terminal 4 and now DL's T-2.

CO flies from JFK ERJ's to CLE and 737-500s to IAH.

Also of note, for a number of years (they still might, im not sure) CO operated a several times Weekly nonstop JFK-Havana with a 737-300, it was a public charter which is allowed by the State Department.

CO was flying JFK-Havana instead of EWR-Havana because of a powerfull NJ politician (now NJ's Senator) Bob Menedez, Menedez is a Cuban American representing the Second Largest Cuban Population in the United States (West NY, Union City NJ). Menendez's family were forced from Cuba so he does not have good feelings towards Castro, he had written into Legislation a provision preventing these Public Charters from operating from EWR.

CO also flies to multiple Cuban Destinations from MIA, FLL with 737s, BE-1s etc..
    Quite an interesting history item you put here. It shows how much politics play a part in the business field. I was surprised to learn that although both JFK and EWR are controlled by the NY-NJ port authority, an important part of managing those mega-airports is basically local - and little - politics.

Izhar

I was surprised to learn that although both JFK and EWR are controlled by the NY-NJ port authority
    The Port Authority controls 4 NYC area airports, two in NYC (JFK, LGA) and two in NJ (EWR, TEB). And yes Politics has alot to do with the running of the airports, for instance AA's JFK Terminal Project was approved at the same exact time as CO's EWR Terminal project in 1999. One was not happening without the other, the Port Authority has in the works a $1 Billion Dollar modernization plan for LGA's CTB which includes new Concourses which would all be connected past security via an airside corridor. That project is tied to a $1.2 Billion Dollar Modernization of Terminal A at EWR which would be renovated and expanded like CO did with Terminal C in '01.

The two projects will be approved together.

For another Historical reference there's the World Trade Center and PATH.

The Governor of NY Rockefeller wanted to build the World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan as a way to restore the dying Lower Manhattan Business community, originally the World Trade Center was to be built on the Lower East Side. The State of NY was broke and there were no private investors interested, so the Governor turned to the Port Authority. However the Port Authority is not in the Real Estate business they are in Transportation. So to convince NJ to allow the Port Authority to get involved with the Construction of the World Trade Center the NY Politicians agreed to have the Port Authority take over and manage the Hudson and Manhattan Rail Road which is now Known as PATH (Port Authority Trans Hudson). As part of that deal the Port Authority built the World Trade Center on the West Side of Lower Manhattan above the Hudson Terminal (now PATH WTC PATH Station).

Operating the 4 NYC Airports make sense as each plays a different role, Teterboro is the Premier FBO airport for Corporate and Celebrity travel, LGA is the main regional Business airport, JFK is the main International Gateway as well as low cost alternative with Jetblue, and EWR is a combination of International and Domestic with hubs for CO and FedEx.