Thread: Public Transportation

Public Transportation

Justin Idle and myself are planning to come up to JFK for four or five days in June. As of now we are counting on some help from the locals as far as transportation, we're willing to chip in for gas, maybe even lunch. However should none of you guys be available how would we get to and from the airport, and where would we go. We will be staying in Manhattan. Even with your help what would we take and where???

Joey Collura

Joey. welcome to the boards, nice shots from my old home airport of TPA. Anyway when your trip gets closer we will help you with the details but you can get to LGA and JFK via Subways, busses, AirTrain for JFK. Some of the good photo spots are accessible by a combination of Public Transportation and walking, for some you need a car. A lot depends on the Runways in use that day. For $24 you can buy a weekly Metrocard that will give you unlimited Transportation on all NYC busses and subways. If you are staying in Manhattan because you want to do Manhattan that's cool, if you are coming primarily to do airport stuff, you might find cheaper hotels at JFK or LGA. Maybe I can drive you guys one day.

Cheers

Ron Peel
    LGA777

thanks for the friendly welcome. We are staying in manhatten because it's a family vacation, I'm just gonna devote 3 or 4 of those days to spotting. As it gets closer I'll throw up another thread to get everything ironed out. thanks again. I was at 2 years ago.......lol its nothin like TPA.

Thanks Ron! We're looking forward to coming up. Futterman... you better be there man! haha. Any idea what spots are accessable by public transportation, specifically? Thanks

-Justin
    "Who said white things weren't big?" - 100-400L IS

http://nycaviation.com/lgaspotting
    http://nycaviation.com/jfkspotting
    Check out the spotting maps on the site, LGA has plenty of public transportation around it. JFK on the other hand not much at all and I won't take public transportation around JFK if the Concorde was coming back into service and it was my only way of getting to JFK. The areas around JFK are pretty ruff to say the least. I'm sure when you guys come up one of us would be more then happy to drive you around. Just let us know the exact dates.

Just an update here, we will be up from 11th through the 15th of June.