Thread: UPS 727 flights at JFK

UPS 727 flights at JFK

UPS 727 flights are showing up regularly now at JFK. For those that do not have a UPS 727 or a UPS 727 in new colors this is your chance to get one as they are few and far between now. The UPS 727 fleet is almost non existant. They have been coming in daily for a little over a week now so I don't know how long it will last. For me...I am glad to finally get the new colors.

Senga

Good catch Senga.. I wish I had that one. Love those UPS 727s. Check out the "bump" in the middle engine too!

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Wow, what is that bump? Makes it look like a Tu-154.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Wow, what is that bump? Makes it look like a Tu-144.
    Phil - I am not familiar with the technecalities and thus unable to explain them fully, but I believe there are three (at least) major conversions available to get 727s to Stage lll (iv?) compliance and the one UPS uses is nearly exclusive...and ends up with that "bump".

I might not be telling you anything you didn't already know or guess at...but maybe someone has the details (or corrections/facts) if I mistated them..

but yeah, pretty neat.. it IS like a Tu-154 now that you mention it. :D
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Tom, Phil, The offical term is 727QF or "Quet Freighter" its a UPS option they had put on some of their 727s I think it looks pretyt snazzy :)

Heres the full shot witht he QF option

Senga

is it even possible to replace that midddle engine if something happens to it? they wouldnt have to get a whole new tail section, would they?

ps-thats probably a really dumb question-sorry

The actual engine is at the bottom right behind the hump and is the duct getting the air down to the engine it is shaped like an S the L1011 was the same, to change the engine some pannels open under and the drop it out
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

The UPS 727-100's have been re-engined with Rolls Royce Tay turbofans...the same engine that is installed on the Fokker 100. This was done exclusively by UPS using Dee Howard of San Antonio to develop the STC (they are no longer in business). The -200's did not receive the modification and have since been retired.

As mentioned previously, the visible opening on the #2 engine is just an air inlet (duct). The engine is actually below and in-line with engines 1 & 3.

Because the turbofan engine has a larger diameter than the original P&W turbojet, the inlet diameter needed to be enlarged, hence the "hump."

UPS is currently operating 16-18 of the 727-100QF's. They were scheduled to be retired more than a year ago, but their life has been extended because UPS is short of lift (capacity). There is currently no firm date for retirement of the type from the UPS fleet.

AU

Thanks AU! Great first post. Welcome.

What are our chances of seeing these locally still? Or would I be better off making a PHL run to catch 'em?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Thanks AU! Great first post. Welcome.

What are our chances of seeing these locally still? Or would I be better off making a PHL run to catch 'em?
    Hey Phil...thanks for the welcome!

Unfortunately, the 727 is no longer scheduled on any northeast runs. This is always subject to change from one bid-period to the next, but nothing up here for the the time being.

The 727 is often used for "rescue" flights. Basically, if there is extra volume on a scheduled run, or another aircraft has a mechanical, a 727 reserve crew (in SDF) is often called in to cover the flight.

AU

UPS are you el piloto with the brown? If so what are your hiring minimums?
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    I was curious, so I looked it up...

https://ups.managehr.com/screening/prof ... eywordtxt=
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

apreciate it gotham thank ya much
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Yes. I fly the 757 and 767. I used to plumb on the 727.

Here are the published mins:

AU

All applicants must possess the following basic qualifications:

Have a minimum of 1500 hours of total fixed-wing pilot time

Have a minimum of 1000 hours pilot in command (PIC) hours in fixed-wing jet and/or fixed-wing multi-engine turboprop

Pilot in Command, per FAR 1.1, means the person who:

Has final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight;

Has been designated as the pilot in command before or during the flight;

Holds the appropriate category, class, and type rating, if appropriate, for the conduct of the flight

Other requirements include:

Hold a valid passport

Bachelor's degree is preferred.

Recency and type of experience will be considered.

Have authorization to work in the United States

Be at least twenty-one years of age

BASIC QUALIFICATIONS:

Hold a current FAA First Class Medical Certificate
    Hold a current ATP certificate OR hold an ATP written with a commercial pilot airplane multiengine land certificate with instrument certificate
    Hold a current flight engineer written or current flight engineer certificate
    Hold an FCC restricted radiotelephone operator permit
    Minimum of 1500 hours of total fixed-wing pilot time. (UPS will allow military candidates to add a plus (.3) per sortie factor to flight times)
    Minimum of 1000 hours pilot in command (PIC) hours in fixed--wing multi-engine turboprop per FAR 1.1. (UPS will allow military candidates to add a plus (.3) per sortie factor to flight times)

wow theres hope yet that i might get out of a lear jet soon