Thread: A very UnAmerican move by American

A very UnAmerican move by American

The Dept of Justice has filed a class-action lawsuit against American Airlines, claiming the carrier illegally denied benefits to pilots while they were serving in National Guard and Reserve. This was the first time a class action suit was filed concerning the law that was passed in 1994 protecting the employment and benefit coverage of employees serving temporality in the armed forces. According to the Dept. of Justice an audit performed in 2001 found AA cut benefits to a number of pilots serving in the armed forces. Efforts to settle the suit with AA have failed.

I'm just shocked that a company that carriers the name of our country and openly said it supports our troops can do something like this. I truly hope this does not indicate the fundamental beliefs by the Executives at AA and rather was just some incompetent Director who just made mistake in trying to save costs. Although the indication that the suit has failed to be settled might indicate the other. Truly a disgraceful move on AAs part and something that would move me to boycott flying American.

information on this law can be found here http://www.dol.gov/vets/programs/userra/main.htm

Yea I dunno, I know of several AA pilots in the Reserves who deployed and were accomodated by American, so hopefully this isn't a large scale company issue. It would be hard to imagine this being a company policy or something, especially as there are a lot of Reserve and Guard pilots flying commercially.