Thread: 12/30/05 - AA Retrojet at LGA; Tragedy Ensues

12/30/05 - AA Retrojet at LGA; Tragedy Ensues

I've seen the retrojet several times. Each time, I have my camera with me, but something prevents me from getting a good shot. One time it was backlit and hazy, one time I was far away in a hotel (Matt Smith beside me), earlier in the week it was rainy and we were inside the terminal and so forth.

Finally, yesterday, Tommy and I are at the Marina watchin EV31 arrivals. We didn't even realize until it was close, but in the most perfect light we could ask for, from a perfect angle, sppon-fed to us....comes the retrojet.

Keep in mind that the light was perfect. This plane was handed to us on a platter. All my shots were coming out good. It was cold, and I had my gloves on. However, for some reason, in my excitement in bringing up my camera, my gloves apparently hit the wheel controlling my exposure compensation.

I took that shot at negative 2. All the way down. :(

I was so excited, and then I saw the previewed shot. I was so upset.

I got home and played with it in Photoshop the best I could. It looks like ****.

Who knows if this baby will be repainted soon, and I want a shot of it so bad. I can only hope to get another great chance at it, but I doubt I'll ever get such perfect conditions as I had this time.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Hey Phil,

too bad about that shot, but we've all been there at some point in time. Earlier this year I was spotting at BWI, waiting for a VIP 707 (N88ZL). While I waited, I decided to try my hand at long-exposures while shooting the highway traffic. Of course I forgot to restore the original setting before the plane arrived, so the shots looked a bit blurry, but that's to be expected with a 5 second exposure.

Regards,
    -Omar S.

P.S: There are quite a few people on the A.net forums who work with AA operations. If you're really desperate to catch the Retrojet, maybe you can ask one of them for its schedule...

Phil, welcome to my world! If I had a dollar for something great coming at ya and the damn this that or the other thing was off. I share your pain.
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Mike, you caught FIRE coming out of a CO 737 engine within a split second. Don't tell me you have had ANY kind of bad luck. lol

" in a hotel (Matt Smith beside me) "

Are you sharing just a bit too much information with us here?!

Please refrain from telling the rest, thank you very much.

hahaha.

It was in LA at the Sheraton Gateway during AI2004. We went to look at the view from the hallway of the 14th floor. Just as we got there..... N951AA landing on rwy 25. Dirty glass and distance and clouds messed up the chance.

Yeah, ok, nice try. LOL, sorry but you set it up soo nice!

Just the opposite, I can't tell you how many typical shots come out great, but when something really hot comes by its all too easy to get all caught up in the glee, swearing, hyperventilation and of course the "photographers creed":

"I swear if I mess up this shot I will................"

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Phil this one is for you.

DIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK

Tough break bro. Of all planes to pull that boner on.

Speaking of Matt Smith he is one of only two people to have a pic on anet of the retrojet at LGA. Good work Matt, awesome pics too!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    Phil this one is for you.

DIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK

Tough break bro. Of all planes to pull that boner on.

Speaking of Matt Smith he is one of only two people to have a pic on anet of the retrojet at LGA. Good work Matt, awesome pics too!
    Don't worry Nick I gave Phil a good DIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCKKKKKK for it.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    That had to be a great moment. Glad one of you guys had the camera set right! Poor Phil.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Gave me good what? Tommy, time and a place. ;) haha

Ok, I'm retiring that joke here. lol

I'm just glad Tommy was next to me so SOMEONE was able to take advantage of the retrojet being handed on a platter.