Thread: Bill Would Allow Arrests For No Reason In Public Places?

Bill Would Allow Arrests For No Reason In Public Places?

Bill Would Allow Arrests For No Reason In Public Places
    http://www.newsnet5.com/news/5580743/detail.html

Bill Would Allow Arrests For No Reason In Public Place
    Citizens Would Also Have To Show ID

UPDATED: 7:22 pm EST December 19, 2005

CLEVELAND -- A bill on Gov. Bob Taft's desk right now is drawing a lot of criticism, NewsChannel5 reported.

One state representative said it resembles Gestapo-style tactics of government, and there could be changes coming on the streets of Ohio's small towns and big cities.

The Ohio Patriot Act has made it to the Taft's desk, and with the stroke of a pen, it would most likely become the toughest terrorism bill in the country. The lengthy piece of legislation would let police arrest people in public places who will not give their names, address and birth dates, even if they are not doing anything wrong.

WEWS reported it would also pave the way for everyone entering critical transportation sites such as, train stations, airports and bus stations to show ID.

"It brings us frighteningly close to a show me your papers society," said Carrie Davis of the ACLU, which opposes the Ohio Patriot Act.

There are many others who oppose the bill as well.

"The variety of people who opposed to this is not just a group of the usual suspects. We have people far right to the left opposing the bill who think it is a bad idea," said Al McGinty, NewsChannel5’s terrorism expert.

McGinty said he isn't sure the law would do what it's intended to do.

"I think anything we do to enhance security and give power to protect the public to police officers is a good idea," he said. "It is a good law in the wrong direction."

Gov. Bob Taft will make the ultimate decision on whether to sign the bill.

WEWS was told that Taft is expected to sign the bill into law, but legal experts expect that it will be challenged in courts.

Copyright 2005 by NewsNet5. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I love the sentence "Gestapo-style tactics of government"

Hope he doesn't sign that bill.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Great, just great. We are getting more Communistic every day. I bet the SCPD become the second to sign that one!

This Is bulls**t call the World Civil Libetries Union!!!
    "Regardless of where you go or what you do with the rest of your life,
    you can always know that when fate chose
    you for the ultimate test, you were not found wanting".

Captain William Kinkead in a letter to the crew of TWA Flight 843

Hehehe they can arrest me all they want. Im not the one who has to go through all the paper work, only to find out that im really innocent.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    talk about ridiculous.... you guys remember that part of history class back in like 7th grade when they kept telling us that those that don't learn history are destined to repeat it? guess they missed that day...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Matt, you are so right!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I just don't buy this whole anti terrorism program and frame of mind.

I still say its ALL fixed, a plot, and this entire mind set helps the government justify its exuberant and insane spending. Only god knows where MOST of the 9/11 funds, memorials, and anti this and that grants really go!

To think straight away that this is all a simple "good vs bad" war....please. I 'm not that gullible

Love me, hate me...sorry no apology!.

(BTW none of the above is directed to anyone personally, just blowing off steam, I'll go away now)
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"