Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Spotting on Dec 26th

I may be up for some lunch and attempted spotting...I'll call you guys tomorrow morning to check in and see what's up.
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    too bad the wx didn't cooperate with you guys. here is the forecast for today:

KJFK 260557Z 260606 20005KT 1SM BR OVC004
    TEMPO 0610 1/4SM FG VV002
    FM1100 24007KT 3SM BR OVC006
    FM1500 26012G20KT P6SM BKN015
    FM2100 29018G25KT P6SM BKN030

KLGA 260542Z 260606 20008KT 4SM BR OVC006
    TEMPO 0711 1SM BR VV004
    FM1100 25004KT 5SM BR OVC006
    FM1500 27012G20KT P6SM BKN015
    FM2100 29017G24KT P6SM BKN030

basically you're looking at cloudy al damn day. the rain will stop but little sun. my suggestion: stay in bed!!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

We are still goin out, but meeting up at 10:00-10:30am.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Im not going out... weather sux

Had a few enjoyable hours despite the weather.

Well, Air Canada did stiff us by replacing the E190 with the regular 319, but American made up for it with this:

I also spotted a bukkake beast (so THAT'S why his teeth are so white!) snarling at his prey from behind the bushes!

Happy New Year!

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

...judging by the photo of the bukkakke beast, it looks like you guys were taking shots from inside the terminal. Were you asked to leave at all or did you speak to someone ahead of time etc.....? Would love to know so that if I decide to do some "winter" spotting at LGA I wont get harrassed. That's quite a drive for me.

John

You're right, John...we were inside the terminal.

Every time we go up there we always give the PAPD a call (extension 211 on the payphone) just to let them know we're there before they find out on their own.

Today, when the detective picked up, he said, "Port Authority emergency desk" in a pretty stern voice. I simply told him that there was a group of 5 aviation enthusiasts taking photos from the big windows, before security, in the Central Terminal Building, and he replied with "Okay, that's fine, but we may still get some calls about you guys." That was it. And that's usually the way it is.

Sometimes they send a cop by to check your ID, but I haven't had the pleasure in quite some time. Most passengers, if they don't join us and watch planes for a few minutes, just walk right past without batting an eye, too. Amazing, isn't it?

Also, remember that when you do call up, you should try to get the detective's name so, in the event that you are approached, you have some credibility.

Brian

Glad to hear that the LGA PAPD guys are actually "getting it." We are not there to cause a problem, hell we would be the first to notice something amiss and alert them. Good job, and thanks for the info. One day I'll join you guys out there....today was hell at work....goddam rich folks can never keep to the plans they make! The fog didnt help any either. Grrr!

John

Even despite the poor weather it was good time spotting and the Astro Jet was huge bonus. Canjet was another good catch, otherwise it was the normal LGA crowd.