Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fed Marshal fires shot near American Airlines Flight.

Fed Marshal fires shot near American Airlines Flight.

Fed Marshal Opens fire near American Airlines Flight.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/07/airpla ... index.html

Guy made threats of a bomb, is now fatally wounded.

Aircraft is a Boeing 757-200

Flight was from Colombia to MIA (stopover) final destination is MCO.

Official: Marshal shoots passenger on boarding bridge at Miami airport

Wednesday, December 7, 2005; Posted: 3:22 p.m. EST (20:22 GMT)

story.miami.jet.wfor.jpg
    Officials gather outside the door of American Airlines Flight 924 Wednesday in Miami.

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Federal air marshals shot and wounded a man on a boarding bridge at Miami International Airport after he said he had a bomb, federal officials told CNN.

Flight 924 was in Miami on a stopover during a flight from Medellin, Colombia, to Orlando, Florida, when the man said there was a bomb in his carry-on luggage, a Department of Homeland Security official said.

He was confronted by a team of federal air marshals, who pursued the man down the boarding bridge and ordered him to get on the ground, the official said.

When the man appeared to reach into his baggage, at least one shot was fired by the marshals, wounding the man, the official said, adding that marshals' actions were consistent with their training.
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Would you really have thought that the man who was shot had a bomb? Because I know how tight security is at Terminal 1 at Kennedy and it doesn't seem like you could get anything past security. And when I'm in Turkey everyone who flies Turkish Airlines has to get ALL their bags checked and when you are about to borad the carry-on items you have with you are checked again.
    Jetblue Pilot departure announcement : "We are pleased to have some of the best flight attendants in the industry ...Unfortunately none of them are on this flight...!"

The had just arrived from Colombia, which might be a bit lax. Regardless of assumed security, if you say you have a bomb and then reach into your bag, too bad.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Yeah You're right , shouldn't handicap passengers state that they are handicapped before flying?
    Jetblue Pilot departure announcement : "We are pleased to have some of the best flight attendants in the industry ...Unfortunately none of them are on this flight...!"

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    why dont they just use rubber bullets or the kind that maim but wont kill?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrodie
    Rubber bullets pack a punch, but still might not prevent a person like that from detonating a bomb.

I think that was happened was the way it should have happened.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrodie
    Think about it this way, the guy shoots him with a rubber ball, in the leg. he cant runway away, but the bomb is with him, and all he has to do is move 2 fingers to push the bomb to detonate it. they did not want any risk of this happening, they shoot to kill, not injure they wnated no risk of setting off a bomb, so they killed him to make sure he would not detonate anything.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

I bet the guy who shot him was having a bad day and just wanted to shoot somebody. :lol: Think about it he got no action b/c he couldn't use his gun, he might as well have been a crossing guard :shock:

My question is, did they shoot to kill this guy or did they shoot to stop this guy? I will spare my views on guns and planes but I hope this is just a one time thing, and we can move on.
    "Clark Kent is Superman's critique of the whole human race." -- Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by AC777LR
    My question is, did they shoot to kill this guy or did they shoot to stop this guy? I will spare my views on guns and planes but I hope this is just a one time thing, and we can move on.

Good question, the rule is shoot to kill, his intention was to shoot and stop whatever the guy was doing, EVEN IF IT MEANT KILLING HIM.

So probably both then.

Alex

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    You can't shoot to stop, you have to kill. I feel sky crimes need to be dealth with severly. This is not a 9/11 thing or a terrorist thing. You step out of line you pay the price, you disrupt a flight you should be put in jail. You scare the hell out of the flight and yell you have a bomb and do anything but comply with sky marshalls you get put down. Simple. This has to stop.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I don't understnad why you folks are being so sensitive for someone who threatened to have a bomb and acted aggresively towards officers.

A guy is on a jetbridge threatening to have a bomb, and could kill hundreds instantly with the flick of his own finger....and you don't think that neutralizing him by death is a fair option?

The flight he was on came in from Colombia. It was said earlier that the security might be lax there. I've flown from Ny to Bogota and back and when you go through security, they make you take absolutely everything out of your bag that you are carrying-on. They even stab at some things with knives, ruining them in the process. I would assume that all of this extra searching is due to the fact that Colombia is notorious for its drug trafficking.

Now, there are also rumors that this guy, Alpizar had some kind of mental illness or condition and that his wife informed the Air Marshall of this.

With these two factors, I wonder how serioulsy they should have taken this guys bomb claim?
    Upcoming Flights:
    EWR-SLC-FAT (ida y vuelta...June 9-11)

JFK-MIA-SCL (June 27)

SCL-GRU-JNB-NBO (July 24)

Well it's not like the marshall's are aware of who has a mental illness or not. Everyting seems to have gone down in seconds, not exactly enough time for an interview or background check.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    When a person is yelling he has a bomb and won't cooperate you really don't have a chance to size up his mental capacity. It's time to handle the situation. If it means hot lead, then hot lead must fly, and you shoot to kill not to injure. I feel the air marshalls had one play to make and they made it. My hat is off to them for a job well done.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol