Thread: Nikon D200

Nikon D200

Now that the Nikon D200 is about to hit the streets, is anyone here planning to get one? I was looking at Ken Rockwell's review of it, and it sounds pretty nice. The design looks great, and some of the improved features are fantastic. According to Rockwell, "this will be the most popular camera used by professional photographers due to its light weight, low cost, high speed and tough magnesium body. In my opinion it obsoletes the D2X, since it does 90% of what the D2X does without the weight and expense."

Oh, and by the way, Rockwell also says that the D200 also trumps Canon's 20D. Maybe Mike P. shouldn't have defected to the Dark Side so quickly... :)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200.htm

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I am going to get one next summer. I have to buy a notebook before I leave so can't get it right now. Looks awesome! I didn't think they were coming out so quickly. I assume my two lenses will fit this body, right? The Nikkor 80-200 2.8 and 80-400VR?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I'll probably end up with one after the first batch (preorders) ships. It's a sweet camera. And yes Nick, the lenses will be just fine.

Mike

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    did you guys notice that new lens that was part of that review? 18-200mm!! that's lovely, me want...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    did you guys notice that new lens that was part of that review? 18-200mm!! that's lovely, me want...
    It's VR also. Great walk-around/travel lens. I'll probably end up with it also just to reduce my lens-changing. For important items I'll still use my 28-80/f2.8 but it'll be nice to have the 18-200mm on the D200 for more general shooting.

Mike

1,800 shots per battery cvharge. That's pretty damn good.

I look forward to seeing results.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Josh...........I heard that!

Guess what, I'm using both! I only have one Canon lens.

Here is the deal with this camera, the sensor. The D200 is what, 10.2 MP. BUT its still the same size sensor as the D100......and that's true for the D2X as well.

Whats that mean? The pixels are all a different scale size. And what Nikon has done is they made the pixels smaller, to fit 10.2 or 12+ on to the same size sensor.

Think about this, what is beautiful about film is K64, is K64.
    With digital a sensor and its processor is very unique and always seems to be "writing the book again" and making its own rules, and thus results.

Seems like Ken and DP always have glowing reviews on pretty much everything! Buyer beware, lol!

Another 2 cents from my observations:
    The Canon 1D MKII, 20D and the Nikon D2x are MUCH more noisy (grain) at ISO 200 then the D100 at the same. I wonder how in the real world tests the D200 will be. I do/did miss the shutter speed advantage using ISO 200 all the time.

The highest end cameras NEED the top of the line lens (primes) to work at its best, meaning its a requirement.
    I'm referring to using the Nikon 80-400 and the Canon 100-400.
    We "aviation photographers" without ramp access, are STUCK using these compromised packed zoom lens.
    Using these on the D2x and the 1D will show up flaws in the zoom glass that the prosumers bodies won't (or not as much) , giving you better quality shots for less $. Huge lesson I learned using the D2x. Glowing reviews don't mean s#it for us unless its reviewed using the above zoom lens!

So now the big question is............who is gonna be the gunny pig for the D200, USING the 80-400 lens?!?!?!

Mike :shock: (photography is just another name for compromise!)
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"