Thread: ATA to leave DEN, IND, SJU

ATA to leave DEN, IND, SJU

http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/051101/88957.html

Company to Maintain Its Headquarters in Indianapolis and Codeshare Options to Chicago-Midway

INDIANAPOLIS, Nov. 1, 2005 (PRIMEZONE) -- ATA Airlines, Inc. (Other OTC:ATAHQ.PK - News) announces that while its headquarters will remain in Indianapolis, the Company will be suspending its service to/from the city, effective Jan. 10, 2006. Codeshare service via Southwest Airlines to Chicago-Midway will continue, allowing Indianapolis customers to access ATA's network through its main hub in Chicago.

Here is what struck me as odd..

``In Denver, the intense competition created by carriers such as Ted, Frontier and now Southwest Airlines made it impossible for us to responsibly justify our continuing this service.

I thought SWA and ATA were working together??

Sad to hear ATA is leaving IND and all those services will be dropped.
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

They are working together that is precesily why DEN is being dropped. There is no reason TZ and WN need to compete in a market where Southwest can offer the customer a vaired choice of destination. I'm not sure if anyone remebers but Southwest did something similar in the past with Muse Air which they renamed Transtar. Southwest operated Transtar for a year before shutting it down. Very interesting to see what happens.

its funny that you won't be able to fly to your HQ on your own airline...
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Quote Originally Posted by Ari707
    its funny that you won't be able to fly to your HQ on your own airline...
    i was thinking the same tihng.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    They are working together that is precesily why DEN is being dropped. There is no reason TZ and WN need to compete in a market where Southwest can offer the customer a vaired choice of destination. I'm not sure if anyone remebers but Southwest did something similar in the past with Muse Air which they renamed Transtar. Southwest operated Transtar for a year before shutting it down. Very interesting to see what happens.
    Tom- you are very right. Muse Air was re-named Transtar and operated DC-9's and MD80's. They were an airline much like SWA however charged fares 20% lower. August 10th, 1987 SWA shut down TranStar. in June 1985, SWA bought MuseAir to keep from CO to getting more gates at DAL.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

I just read that article also.
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

ATA will still serve IND through charter and they have their MX base there. Also airlines like world and MaxJet don't have their HQ's in cities they serve.