Thread: DC Roadtrip - IAD Pix

DC Roadtrip - IAD Pix

Not to have my earlier thread get too long with too many pictures, here are some from IAD. I spend most of a day at the Air & Space Museum facility there, and in addition to the stuff in the museum, there are great spotting opportunities.

The museum is located between the approaches to Rwy 1L & 1R. They have an observation deck, done up as a control tower. You have to shoot through glass, but you get to see things like:

and

When you need a break from all that "old stuff" inside, head out to the parking lot:

or something we don't see around NY much:

Rafal told me to check out the parking garage, located between the departure ends of 1L & 1R, as they switch to departures after about 4:30. I headed on up, and sure enough around 4:30 - 5:00 they started departing that way. After a bunch of biz jets & RJs, I got to see some heavy iron, beginning with the KLM A330:

Followed by the Air France 777-200:

Next up was an Alitalia 767-300:

UAL had some outbound stuff too, like a 777-200:

Or how about a 744 defying the laws of gravity:

Before leaving, I saw this taxi in to the "corporate" ramp - it's an RAF Bae 146. Seeing as how it was met by that "rent-a-car company" looking van on the right, plus the fact that the rooftop parking where I was at wasn't filled with British SAS troops, I assumed it wasn't HRH Prince Charles on board :shock:

Again, many thanks to Rafal for all the great info on spotting at DCA & IAD, and for putting in a good word with the weatherman - it was mid-70s and sunny for most the week I was down that way.

Nice pics! Love that last UA B744 shot...outstanding.

Mike

Very nice
    "Regardless of where you go or what you do with the rest of your life,
    you can always know that when fate chose
    you for the ultimate test, you were not found wanting".

Captain William Kinkead in a letter to the crew of TWA Flight 843

thanks for sharing...I really like the second one.