Thread: DC Roadtrip

DC Roadtrip

I'm finally taking some vacation next week, and planning to head down to DC for a few days. I plan on doing the Air & Space Museum & the new annex, plus some other touristy stuff, but I plan to make some time for spotting as well.

Anyone have any good info on DCA or IAD? I know Tommy was just down there, anyone else? I've poked around a.net but any firsthand experience would be helpful.

TIA

Send me email to tipekusair at yahoo.com and I will send you all the info you need for IAD.

Rafal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

Went down to DC on Sunday (10/16). Seven days, and 1,900 photos later, I finally returned. Between catching up on work, and going through all those photos, haven't had much time to post.

First, let me say THANKS! to Rafal. The info you sent me was great, and gave me some outstanding spotting opportunities.

I'll start off slow here...

Just north of DCA is Gravelly Point park, sort of like Plainview Park on steroids. It's a large park, lots of parking, lots of people when the weather is nice, and it's right close to DCA:

I don't know who those guys were...
    But you can see stuff like:

And you get some great views when they are landing to the south:

Of course, you can always get those boring side-on shots:

This being DC and all, you never know when you will see something unusual:

While in DC, don't forget to pay homage to where it all began:

I also spend a day at the Air & Space Museum facility out at Dulles, and got some great shots there. Once I get them cleaned up a bit, I'll post some more.

Moose looks like you have a great time in DC. Did you meet up with Rafal? I think this winter I'll have to take another trip down that way.

nice shots, lets see more!

Hi Guys,

I'm glad that you had good time. I need to correct you on one thing. There is not enough parking space at Gravelly Point :) Trust me. On a sunny weekend you have to park on the grass, or circle around for 30 minutes to find any spot.

Moose, how you did at IAD? Did you catch something good?

Rafal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

Quote Originally Posted by tipek
    There is not enough parking space at Gravelly Point :) Trust me. On a sunny weekend you have to park on the grass, or circle around for 30 minutes to find any spot.
    Yes, I can see that. I stopped by for a short time on a Sunday afternoon, and then again on a weekday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by tipek
    Moose, how you did at IAD? Did you catch something good?
    I did get some interesting stuff - I'll be posting more soon.