5 38.46%
  • LGA

7 53.85%
  • EWR

1 7.69%

Thread: Your favorite airport to spot at

Your favorite airport to spot at

?JFK or EWR or lGA

Being from North Jersey I would have to say EWR. The only other airport in the Metro area I have visited in any capacity has been JFK(Picking and dropping off a friend to and from Germany) and I must say w/out traffic is a good 1.5 hours and w/traff especially during rush hour is 2.5 hours for me. Secondly where would one go to in the JFK to spot IMO it seems to be a hassle in getting around that area. My only other airport I havent been to is LGA which for me would be my second pick since it is only a nhop skop and a vector from me across the GWB and it seems to be easier to get around and to find a nice little nook to spot

I would choose JFK over the three airports mainly because of the variety of international traffic. I've only done EWR once and I got stopped for shooting video (while the Singapore A340-500 was arriving!) so I don't think I wanna go back. LGA is great if the right runways are in use, IMO. This is coming from someone who is used to seeing US Airways all the time, and the only Intl traffic comes from Air Canada, Air France, Air Jamaica, British Airways, and Lufthansa.

A good EWR spot is if you go down the road where DELTA Air Cargo is and go to the end where the fence is parallel of rwy 11/29 especially when 22l app is in use you get good landing and takeoff traff but that frigging fence is in the way for photo action and i have been told even when delivering pickups and drop offs at the airlines cargo areas to leave by certain airline security personnel. DAMN !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Holzinger
    I would choose JFK over the three airports mainly because of the variety of international traffic. I've only done EWR once and I got stopped for shooting video (while the Singapore A340-500 was arriving!) so I don't think I wanna go back. LGA is great if the right runways are in use, IMO. This is coming from someone who is used to seeing US Airways all the time, and the only Intl traffic comes from Air Canada, Air France, Air Jamaica, British Airways, and Lufthansa.
    Where do you normally go when you spot at JFK?

Quote Originally Posted by 777heavy
    Where do you normally go when you spot at JFK?
    777heavy,

We have many new features on the site, and perhaps the most useful are spotting maps for each airport. Go on to the homepage and select Tools>Spotting Maps>JFK/LGA/EWR.

For quick reference, a list of all the locations we frequent at JFK (with map) can be found here: http://nycaviation.com/jfkspotting

Enjoy,

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

I chose LGA.

International traffic or not, I feel that the locations at LGA offer a lot more variety in terms of photographic angles. JFK's spots are further from the airport and you can't get any backgrounds in the shots. LGA offers background and close coverage.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

LGA

JFK ,hands down, on a good day, the world arrives in everything from stretch 8 freighters, to 747-400s, on a great day, anything from a DC-3, to a Tu-154 can be seen. Can't beat the Canarsie approach.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

LGA. I enjoy their setup, especially when they only use one runway. It's crazy..but I love LGA so much I chose to depart/arrive from/to the airport next week! Go me..
    Christos

Its got to be JFK with the variety of different airlines and aircraft, especially the heavy metal. Atleast for me it also has to do with a certain nostalga that I feel for the place since I have been going there to spot since I was 8. I always loved the fact that you could watch a plane touchdown from a far away land or watch a plane take off and know that the next time it touched ground it would be in Europe or Asia or some other magnificent place. Man I miss the old Customs parking lot.