Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: h"I"gh on Fly i

h"I"gh on Fly i

Fly i’s slogan is “Go your own way”, reminds me of the old Fleetwood Mac song “Go your own way”, one of my favorites, anyway. Independence certainly went their own way when they broke apart from UAL and decided to start a totally new business model offering low fares and friendly Southwest/JetBlue/Airtran style service using CRJs. From my experience flying Independence this past weekend I’ll say they really are a great little airline.

I never really expected much from Independence other then a seat and a drink but I was impressed with their overall operation and some of the niceties they give you. Overall their facilities and planes are very clean. Their CRJs are very comfortable with plenty of leg room for a small jet and the seats are a nice soft leather and rather supportive. My only gripe with the CRJ is the windows, they are to low and there aren’t enough of them.

For a little airline Independence is very professional, upon boarding on both flights you were greeted by the FA and the Capt., then on deplaning the Capt. was on the bottom of the air stairs thanking his passengers for flying with them. Other nice perks I didn’t expect were the hot towels, I love hot towels, I’ll fly first class just for the hot towels. There is nothing like a hot moist towel to wake you up on a 6 AM flight, followed by a refreshing mint to get rid of that early morning coffee breathe. These are the little things that make the difference to me when I decide to fly airline “A” or “B”.

Now with that being said this airline is neck deep in debt that will almost certainly knock them out of the game. Ever since Fly i left UAL they’ve lost money with no sign of turning a profit anytime soon. So why the huge debt load? Some say it’s their business plan and I tend to agree. While I believe their concept is sound their business plan, IAD hub, and lack of large jets is hurting them.

Lets face it IAD is a terrible hub airport and O&D airport. For travelers to and from Virginia and Washington, IAD is out of the way, hard to move around and if its bad weather boarding Fly i’s RJs without a jet ramp isn’t much fun. Then there’s the large jet issue, they don’t have enough. If Independence is going to be a mainline carrier they need large jets serving cities that are going to fill them. While this may be a bold move it may be beneficial for them to dump the RJs all together and start from scratch with only the A319s serving the leisure markets with low fares. The one thing they need is money in the bank from a new investor who sees their concept and brand of service is truly one of the best out there.

Good report. They Sound like a remarkable airline, and watching them land into IAD, they seem quite the bustle hub. I agree they should dump the RJ's and keep the A319. It is a wonderful plane to fly on, and I would fly on it long haul. I would love to try them out, I hope they consider STL, but STL-IAD is a horrible market leisure wise. Next time take pics dude!! lol

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex T
    Good report. They Sound like a remarkable airline, and watching them land into IAD, they seem quite the bustle hub. I agree they should dump the RJ's and keep the A319. It is a wonderful plane to fly on, and I would fly on it long haul. I would love to try them out, I hope they consider STL, but STL-IAD is a horrible market leisure wise. Next time take pics dude!! lol

Alex
    I don't under stand they make you fly rsw-jfk via iad why can't you just go rsw-jfk that's bull****
    "Regardless of where you go or what you do with the rest of your life,
    you can always know that when fate chose
    you for the ultimate test, you were not found wanting".

Captain William Kinkead in a letter to the crew of TWA Flight 843

[quote=Tower Air]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Alex T":f77d4

Alex
    I don't under stand they make you fly rsw-jfk via iad why can't you just go rsw-jfk that's bull****[/quote:f77d4]

Because Indy does not have n/s to JFK, IAD is their hub, so you must change planes there. same for AA at DFW, I can't fly STL-PHX n/s I must fly thru DFW or ORD because they have a hub also at DFW. AA doesnt have it n/s STL-PHX.
    Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Quote Originally Posted by Tower Air
    I don't under stand they make you fly rsw-jfk via iad why can't you just go rsw-jfk that's bull****
    wow no need to flip out, its just that IAD is their main hub. They have very few routes that do not go through IAD. Chill!

Even back when FlyI operated as Delta Connection they always had great service--i.e. the hot towels. I wish they still flew those spacious Doriner 328 Jets. Those were nice. I'm glad to see that they are keeping up their good service like they did when they were with Delta.

One issue is price...Every time I looked for tickets they are never the lowest priced option, so that's a major turnoff. That's why FlyI never gets my business. Why pay $310 RT from JFK to RDU when I can fly AA for a fraction of the cost?
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

I always found FlyI to be the cheapest from JFK-IAD-ORF. I always got fares under $100.

Sounds like a cool airline to fly on..

HOWEVER, both lessors of their current A319 fleet have people on site and are ready to take their aircrafts back. I believe the plan is to grab the aircraft the night before they file to prevent the aircraft getting stuck in chap 11 proceedings.

Airbus also have "postpone" all delivery plans for their direct purchase A319’s due to none payment of PDP.

Their business model failed because they based the oil being less than $32 a barrel and the load factors is a lot lower than anticipated.

Hi Clipper,

Where did you got that information from? To my knowledge nobody posponed any deliveries to FlyI. All 12 A319 that were supposed to be delivered in 2005 were delivered.
    Next delivery date is February 2006.
    First 4 A319 are leased from CITG and 8 from ILFC.

Rafal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

I have also flown Independence Air, and I think they're a great product.
    I flew them back on 07 July 2005 (JFK-IAD).
    I've never flown on a CRJ and I really enjoyed the flight.
    The boarding was super fast (I guess because there were only about 40 passengers) and the employees were very kind.
    And I was even able to meet the pilots; very nice cockpit!

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/883274/L/
    Christos

Quote Originally Posted by tipek
    Hi Clipper,

Where did you got that information from? To my knowledge nobody posponed any deliveries to FlyI. All 12 A319 that were supposed to be delivered in 2005 were delivered.
    Next delivery date is February 2006.
    First 4 A319 are leased from CITG and 8 from ILFC.

Rafal
    Airbus also have "postpone" all delivery plans for their direct purchase A319’s due to none payment of PDP.

They have missed a few Pre Delivery Payments to Airbus and is in default of thier purchase agreement. Airbus is not going to deliver the airplanes when over 80% of the purchase price are not paid. Airbus have offered these positions for sale to airlines and lessors already.

You are correct all 12 of their current A319 are leased from those two lessors. I know those airplane deals very well. They will be repo as soon as the lessors thinks they are filling, or if the lessors can find another airline interested in leasing these aircraft.

What's wrong with fly i bankrupt or what? is it going down the **** hole?

please don't curse when your are only 13, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by IslipWN
    Dude!

13 year olds curse my friends do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tower Air
    Quote Originally Posted by IslipWN
    Dude!

13 year olds curse my friends do it!

if your friends were to jump off a bridge, would you do it too?

I was only being sarcasticccc about you cursing! cursing is fun.