Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Class Flying.

I flew first class on TWA LGA-PBI-JFK on MD-80s awhile ago. The seats were nothing special, but the glass silverware and linen napkins were cool. It was also neat because everyone walked past as they boarded and looked envious.

My dad had gotten us first class tickets because the price difference was only like 100 dollars so he bumped us up.

I also flew Virgin Atlantic's Mid-Class back in the day LHR-JFK--the legroom was slightly better, and there were more TV options.

Finally, even though it doesn't really count, I flew United's PS from JFK-SFO, in premium economy. Great service....pancakes for breakfast, and a snack....a great flight.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Flew First Class a few times back in the "old days" - TWA 747 (and maybe even an L-1011) coast to coast JFK - LAX non-stop. Big seats, good food (served with real plates, silverware, & glasses) hot towels before landing...

And the best part, since my father worked for TWA and we were on pass, it cost something like $6 each for the flight (coach would have been free).

Those were the days...

Flew First Class a few times back in the "old days" - TWA 747 (and maybe even an L-1011) coast to coast JFK - LAX non-stop. Big seats, good food (served with real plates, silverware, & glasses) hot towels before landing...

And the best part, since my father worked for TWA and we were on pass, it cost something like $6 each for the flight (coach would have been free).

Those were the days...

Wow lets see, I fly business /first class all the time, except I'm not on the LCC's. They best was on SIA from EWR to SIN on the A340-500!

Wow lets see, I fly business /first class all the time, except I'm not on the LCC's. They best was on SIA from EWR to SIN on the A340-500!

I’ve been lucky enough to have flown first class a number of times and agree to a point with Mario that for the most part you are paying for real-estate but on some airlines the service was well worth the extra money.

One cannot dispute that TWA wrote the book on first class service in the 50s, 60s and 70s and that brand of style and service was renewed in the 90s. TWA’s seats were large, soft, offered an amazing seat pitch and even the smaller birds like the MD-80s had footrests.

Flying TWA’s 767s to the coast you enjoyed meals prepared fresh right in front of you. I remember the FA’s wheeling out a cart filled with whine, cheese, crackers, caviar, liquor, you name it they had it. The other thing I love about TWA’s first class product was the attention, if you so much as blinked the FA’s were there for you. The most memorable thing though was the food hands down TWA’s food was on pare with the best restaurants in New York City.

I’ve also flown AWA first class and was very impressed with their premium product, certainly on pare with American, which first class product has something to be desired. AWA’s food was great the seats were great and the service was prompt and friendly.

I’ve done AirTran’s biz class and for the small upgrade fee it’s worth it just to get on the plane first. The seats aren’t bad, roomy and soft. The service is all right, they give you a choice of snacks and like the others free alcohol. Worth the extra money

As for American their first class product sucks, coach is better.

I’ve been lucky enough to have flown first class a number of times and agree to a point with Mario that for the most part you are paying for real-estate but on some airlines the service was well worth the extra money.

One cannot dispute that TWA wrote the book on first class service in the 50s, 60s and 70s and that brand of style and service was renewed in the 90s. TWA’s seats were large, soft, offered an amazing seat pitch and even the smaller birds like the MD-80s had footrests.

Flying TWA’s 767s to the coast you enjoyed meals prepared fresh right in front of you. I remember the FA’s wheeling out a cart filled with whine, cheese, crackers, caviar, liquor, you name it they had it. The other thing I love about TWA’s first class product was the attention, if you so much as blinked the FA’s were there for you. The most memorable thing though was the food hands down TWA’s food was on pare with the best restaurants in New York City.

I’ve also flown AWA first class and was very impressed with their premium product, certainly on pare with American, which first class product has something to be desired. AWA’s food was great the seats were great and the service was prompt and friendly.

I’ve done AirTran’s biz class and for the small upgrade fee it’s worth it just to get on the plane first. The seats aren’t bad, roomy and soft. The service is all right, they give you a choice of snacks and like the others free alcohol. Worth the extra money

As for American their first class product sucks, coach is better.

I flew US first class LGA-BOS one morning. Got regular offers for snacks and drinks (it was an 8am flight), and the seats were pretty comfy. I was upgraded thorugh a friend.

The only time I'd ever really go out of my way for FC is when flying across the ocean. I couldn't imagine sitting in a regular airline seat for so long.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I flew US first class LGA-BOS one morning. Got regular offers for snacks and drinks (it was an 8am flight), and the seats were pretty comfy. I was upgraded thorugh a friend.

The only time I'd ever really go out of my way for FC is when flying across the ocean. I couldn't imagine sitting in a regular airline seat for so long.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I have flown on First Class and Business Class on Air France, Continental, American, TWA, and Iberia.

The most memrobable was on Air France when I flew JFK-CDG on a B747-400. We arrived at JFK 20 minutes before check-in was to be closed (a lot of traffic coming into JFK). We rushed into Terminal 1 and didn't have to wait in line because there was no line. We got to the desk and the women accepted all of our papers and then some other Air France employee asked her a question. The desk agent told us she would have to go and check something out and that she would be back in a second, well she was not back in a second. We heard the last boarding call for are flight and began to worry, my mom managed to get the attention of the guy who was managing all the check ins, he was looking over the list of passengers for the flight. He told us that he was incredibly sorry that we had not been helped and told us to go through the doors straight down there (the bottom right of the terminal). We went through the doors and found are self in a hallway with low seelings, we continued walking and pushed open a set of doors and were greeted by a very, very big lounge! The purser had sent us to the First/Businesss class lounge! It was the most amazing thing ever!
    So we enjoyed the amenities of the lounge and then the purser came in and told us that he would put us on Business Class to CDG on the next flight!

So onto the plane we went when it was time. Luckily enough we were sitting on the second deck!! I can't remember too much of what the flight was like, I know I did not have a window. I can remember being served orange juice and peanuts while we where taxiing and being asked are dinner preference, I also remember pulling out the in-seat T.V. but not watching anything. The thing I remember the most was actully sleeping on a flat bed on the plane!

Flying on Business Class gave an entire extra day to see Paris!

Business and First on Continental, TWA, American, and Iberia was nothing to special.

Continental Airlines First Class B757-200 EWR-SJU, SJU-EWR
    TWA First Class B757-200 JFK-SJU, SJU-JFK
    American First Class A300 EWR-SJU, SJU-EWR, MD-11 JFK-LHR
    Iberia Business Class MD-87 MAD-GRX

I have flown on First Class and Business Class on Air France, Continental, American, TWA, and Iberia.

The most memrobable was on Air France when I flew JFK-CDG on a B747-400. We arrived at JFK 20 minutes before check-in was to be closed (a lot of traffic coming into JFK). We rushed into Terminal 1 and didn't have to wait in line because there was no line. We got to the desk and the women accepted all of our papers and then some other Air France employee asked her a question. The desk agent told us she would have to go and check something out and that she would be back in a second, well she was not back in a second. We heard the last boarding call for are flight and began to worry, my mom managed to get the attention of the guy who was managing all the check ins, he was looking over the list of passengers for the flight. He told us that he was incredibly sorry that we had not been helped and told us to go through the doors straight down there (the bottom right of the terminal). We went through the doors and found are self in a hallway with low seelings, we continued walking and pushed open a set of doors and were greeted by a very, very big lounge! The purser had sent us to the First/Businesss class lounge! It was the most amazing thing ever!
    So we enjoyed the amenities of the lounge and then the purser came in and told us that he would put us on Business Class to CDG on the next flight!

So onto the plane we went when it was time. Luckily enough we were sitting on the second deck!! I can't remember too much of what the flight was like, I know I did not have a window. I can remember being served orange juice and peanuts while we where taxiing and being asked are dinner preference, I also remember pulling out the in-seat T.V. but not watching anything. The thing I remember the most was actully sleeping on a flat bed on the plane!

Flying on Business Class gave an entire extra day to see Paris!

Business and First on Continental, TWA, American, and Iberia was nothing to special.

Continental Airlines First Class B757-200 EWR-SJU, SJU-EWR
    TWA First Class B757-200 JFK-SJU, SJU-JFK
    American First Class A300 EWR-SJU, SJU-EWR, MD-11 JFK-LHR
    Iberia Business Class MD-87 MAD-GRX

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Big seats, good food (served with real plates, silverware, & glasses) hot towels before landing

Well, I've been on AA's F product a few times. Each time was on another's dime.

It all comes down to your expectations. As I said, I've come to the realization that its no more than simple real estate (or at least thats how I perceive it amongst the American carriers)

And these days, I doubt its the amenities that F and J class flyers go after. I mean, All jet blue has are new seats and personal TVs and a lot of flyers, business or otherwise, love that. So it doesn't take much. Thats filling an expectation.

My Concorde flight, well, like I said, I was shocked as anything when, at my height, I felt like a 6 footer in that plane. The setas were certainly not large but the ambiance was unlike any other. But that premium was geared to address time, not space or food :)
    (except for maybe the caviar.)

My only want, if flying premium, is space. just a bit of space to stretch out in.

Heck, when I do fly long haul in coach, jsut to make a point, I try to fly the empty flght so I can take up a string of 3 coach seats and sleep :)

The premium spent on an F/J seat is, grossly speaking, the amount of space that your seat is using up and could have been filled up with in economy seats otherwise.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Big seats, good food (served with real plates, silverware, & glasses) hot towels before landing

Well, I've been on AA's F product a few times. Each time was on another's dime.

It all comes down to your expectations. As I said, I've come to the realization that its no more than simple real estate (or at least thats how I perceive it amongst the American carriers)

And these days, I doubt its the amenities that F and J class flyers go after. I mean, All jet blue has are new seats and personal TVs and a lot of flyers, business or otherwise, love that. So it doesn't take much. Thats filling an expectation.

My Concorde flight, well, like I said, I was shocked as anything when, at my height, I felt like a 6 footer in that plane. The setas were certainly not large but the ambiance was unlike any other. But that premium was geared to address time, not space or food :)
    (except for maybe the caviar.)

My only want, if flying premium, is space. just a bit of space to stretch out in.

Heck, when I do fly long haul in coach, jsut to make a point, I try to fly the empty flght so I can take up a string of 3 coach seats and sleep :)

The premium spent on an F/J seat is, grossly speaking, the amount of space that your seat is using up and could have been filled up with in economy seats otherwise.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Not much First Class for me..

Went round trip Co MD-80 about 4years ago, thanks to the credit card points.
    AA 707 one way to PR, free upgrade, with my mom.
    AA 757 EWR to DFW on my honeymoon, freebee too, one way.
    These trips are ok, nothing special, the bit of extra room is the difference.

BUT---------------

I recall in the early 80's going to Italy, on an Air France 747-200, from JFK.
    Now I didn't have a seat in First but was close to the action...

Sure they had all the nice food and grog, but what was the elite limelite then was these sleeping berths!!!!!!!!

The seats were paired 2 at a clip and sported a retracting curtain! Seats went all the way down.
    And the rest rooms were also well stocked with all sorts of goodies........soaps, flowers, shaving kits, tooth brush kits, lots of stuff! (yes I did "loose my way into their" )

And a 'first class experience" ,yet was coach, when I traveled SFO-Hawaii on United.
    It was 1977, on a 747-100.
    That vacation started the moment you boarded that flight!
    The atmosphere, the non stop food, booze and movies........I can't tell you what was going on in first class on that one, seemed like we were already there.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the flip-side, again early 80's,................

EL AL 747-200 from JFK.
    There was no first class.............all high density coach!!!!!!!!
    No one here knows really what a "packed flight" is unless you did one of these long bad boys!

Keep in mind 2/3 of the pax are making some sort of pilgrimage. Yes they were moving in or out of the country! The flight was PACKED!!!!

Mike
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Not much First Class for me..

Went round trip Co MD-80 about 4years ago, thanks to the credit card points.
    AA 707 one way to PR, free upgrade, with my mom.
    AA 757 EWR to DFW on my honeymoon, freebee too, one way.
    These trips are ok, nothing special, the bit of extra room is the difference.

BUT---------------

I recall in the early 80's going to Italy, on an Air France 747-200, from JFK.
    Now I didn't have a seat in First but was close to the action...

Sure they had all the nice food and grog, but what was the elite limelite then was these sleeping berths!!!!!!!!

The seats were paired 2 at a clip and sported a retracting curtain! Seats went all the way down.
    And the rest rooms were also well stocked with all sorts of goodies........soaps, flowers, shaving kits, tooth brush kits, lots of stuff! (yes I did "loose my way into their" )

And a 'first class experience" ,yet was coach, when I traveled SFO-Hawaii on United.
    It was 1977, on a 747-100.
    That vacation started the moment you boarded that flight!
    The atmosphere, the non stop food, booze and movies........I can't tell you what was going on in first class on that one, seemed like we were already there.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the flip-side, again early 80's,................

EL AL 747-200 from JFK.
    There was no first class.............all high density coach!!!!!!!!
    No one here knows really what a "packed flight" is unless you did one of these long bad boys!

Keep in mind 2/3 of the pax are making some sort of pilgrimage. Yes they were moving in or out of the country! The flight was PACKED!!!!

Mike
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"