Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Farmingdale Visitor

Derf,

...and you are on the money this time. Taxiways are too close to the runway for a large aircraft (DC10 / MD11) to land at FRG under normal circumstances. Current procedure now when an airliner lands there (B727, B737, MD80, A320) is land/takeoff on Rwy 14/32 depending on the wind, backtaxi on the runway to Runway 1/19 to taxi to Atlantic (South End) or LI Jet Center (North End). When there is an airliner taxiing on 1/19, no other bizjet aircraft can be on the Alpha or Bravo taxiway's due to wingtip clearance.

John
    Patchogue, NY

Notice I have included the words "if need be" in my previous post. You are correct about the taxiway situation and the taxiback situation on 14/32 is a royal PITA but the runways themselves would be able to withstand an aircraft the size of a DC-10, and even a B747. Take it from a pilot whose "in the know".

Quote Originally Posted by KFRG
    Notice I have included the words "if need be" in my previous post. You are correct about the taxiway situation and the taxiback situation on 14/32 is a royal PITA but the runways themselves would be able to withstand an aircraft the size of a DC-10, and even a B747. Take it from a pilot whose "in the know".
    Well Ok, but then if we want to get really picky, they could land just about anything there because the only real limiting factor would be the runway width. Length would not be an issue for a 747 as if you strip out the interior and drain almost all the fuel for a quick ferry to JFK.... but then again the same could be said for MacArthur and East Hampton. The way that was worded really threw me off.

When you said that, it sounded to me like you were also saying it could be used as a diversion. Emerengcy ditching is completely different. (I am sure they could stop it if they ran it dry)

On a side note, If you stripped out the interior of a 747 and had minimal fuel (5% or so) what would the takeoff speed be in a 747.... I was once told it was around 65 knots.

What do you fly?

FYI: I am not a pilot....so I guess you could say you ARE above me!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

In 2002 i visited FRG in our 727-200 on a college charter,that runway was about as short as we like to deal with ,with the old girl, 6000' is our limit,makes for a lot of exciement,boards popping,reverers thundering,anti-skid chattering,end of the runway swiftly approaching,great fun,great training!
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Would the runway and taxiway hold up to the weight of a DC10/MD or B747??