Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 20D.......help!

After a little more thinking and ordering some photos from someone, I disagree, guys.

I look at photos from champions like Ryan C. Umphrey on Anet and the difference between shots from a 10D or 20D and Ryan's 1D Mark II from his locations is tremendous. I've never seen anything like it before in my life and especially with Airliners.net standards being the way that they are, every little bit helps.

I think there is a big difference, even though it's is only for a 1024-wide web resolution photo. Obviously I'd do a lot more with my camera at that point than just upload to Anet and JP though.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I look at photos from champions like Ryan C. Umphrey on Anet and the difference between shots from a 10D or 20D and Ryan's 1D Mark II from his locations is tremendous. I've never seen anything like it before in my life and especially with Airliners.net standards being the way that they are, every little bit helps.
    Mike's comment still holds water, especially since his budget has BARELY enough room for a 1D MkII body.

While Ryan Umphrey isn't a professional photographer (in terms of a career, as far as I know) his setup is still overkill any way you look at it. Given Mike's store credit, I'm sure he can suffice without 8FPS and a gazillion megapixels. Besides, Phil, you know as well as I do that the MkII wouldnt've performed as we've seen with a 70-300.

Hence Mike's whole ordel (read: D2x + 80-400 = poo).

I've seen photographers accomplish shots just like Ryan's EVA Cargo MD-11 in pitch black (which I assume you have in mind) with a "modest" 20D/70-200 f2.8 IS. Beyond a setup like what we've been discussing in the thread, the 20D and 100-400, the differences are exclusively technical to the extent that A.net would roll over in its grave before they start to accept or reject a photo based on the caliber of camera it was taken with.

:)

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

With my 10D, I feel like I have issues with sharpness and jaggies when comparing against 20D shots and other Anet shots. A better camera would certainly help. Overkill? Our current setups are already thousands of dollars each.

Now were talken, thanks

If you do alot of review reading, like I have (you should see my bloodshot eyes!) you will find some saying the 20D is still better at managing noise compared to the 1D mkII, wow!

Again for me, the huge drawback with the 1D is the 1.3 crop factor, reducing your max focal length. So the 1D is totally out of the question for me. But for the "ramp rats" and thoes who shoot film its great.

I'll have to wait and see just a bit to find out whats new. If Canon does do a new 30D or whatever its called, and its got a 1.3 crop or a full fame....then its a 20D for me for sure.

Like Phil has said, the 20D is making some stunning results, and does have some advantages. Of course I think the 10D and for that matter all the Canons have some advantages over the Nikon, especially metering and exposure quality.

And the 100-400 lens is a must not due to just budget but size. That's a great lens and yet its compact for mobility---as far as I know. That's why I'm asking.

So please share whatever, you guys are the best review,thanks.
    Mike
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Mike,

I gotta be honest when I say that grain and crop factor are of absolutely ZERO concern for me when buying a camera. Why is that you ask?

Grain and noise are nothing I've ever had an issue with any Canon body, nor do I expect it to ever be. From what I've read and heard from shooters, the 1D doesn't have any issues with it, either. At least not compared to the ISO 200 floor of the D100.

As for crop factor, I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty hard on myself when it comes to my photos. If I have to crop a photo that much, then I feel like I'm doing something wrong and didn't deserve to get the shot anyway.

I like to shoot either full frame shots or nice backgrounds. If I have to crop that much, then odds are that further out than 400mm, you start getting particles in the air that are going to negatively affect photo quality anyway. At least in the NYC air.

It's just rare that I'm shooting that far to need crop factor.

The things that I look at when going for a camera are (in this order):

- Crispness (usually found with better megapixel)

- Color accuracy

- Auto-Focus speed

- Frames per second

- Buffer speed

- Durability (Weather, elements, dropping, etc.)

Mike,

Lots of rumours of the D200 coming soon.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=14671540

Mike

Mike thanks for the tip.

I have 10 months to make a move on something.....................

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingColors
    Mike thanks for the tip.

I have 10 months to make a move on something.....................

Mike
    With how quickly things change in the DSLR world, they'll be 50 new bodies come and go in that time :)
    Good luck with the new camera, when you get it. Even if it's a Canon.

Mike

Just like to add this tid bit for anyone buying a camera and a extended warranty.............DON'T bother with the extra warranty.

MACK camera has my D100 now for 2 weeks and the tech has not even looked at it yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What makes me laugh is these guys could very well say..................."hello, we found a spec of sand, your warranty is null and void, thank you for purchasing your extended warranty and have a nice day"

I should have not spent the $ on that, and just sent it to Nikon. They have a one week deal whereas someone will contact you on the cost of the repairs, at no charge minus the shipping.

Will take Mikesphotos advice on my next camera ...."just shoot the crap out of it and you will know within the year if you have a problem"

BTW---was in the camera store today and a guy next to me had a 20D that he dropped into a swimming pool, and it still works! He just had it cleaned!

Mike