Thread: Flight Logs?

Flight Logs?

Hi, Does anyone here keep a flight log, which they ask the pilot to fill out? I was wondering what to put on mine, and when to ask the pilot to fill it out since I am flying PK 718 this Friday. Finally get to fly on a 777 :D

I've seen Brian Futterman use something like a flight log that he hands to pilots. Perhaps he can tell you where he got it.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i have my own logbook that i fill out when i fly. not the same thing though...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

That's nice, Matt.

Fly1346, I created my own log sheet off something I saw of Sam Chui's, and I hand it to my pilots before the flight. After a brief introduction, it just has blank spaces for some general information:

AIRLINE/FLIGHT:
    DATE:
    ROUTE:
    CAPTAIN’S NAME:
    BASED OUT OF:
    FIRST OFFICER’S NAME: BASED OUT OF:
    AIRCRAFT TYPE:
    D. GATE:
    STD:
    ATD:
    TAXI TIME:
    FLIGHT TIME:
    STA:
    ATA:
    A. GATE:
    SPEED (IAS/TAS/MACH):
    FL:
    DEPARTURE RUNWAY:
    SID (IF ANY):
    ARRIVAL RUNWAY:
    STAR (IF ANY):
    NUMBER OF PASSENGERS:
    NUMBER OF CREW:
    TOTAL MILEAGE:
    TOTAL FLIGHT TIME:
    OTHER INFORMATION/ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

I don't fly very often, but nine times out of ten, the crew has no qualms about completing any of the fields. It's also a great way to start schmoozing up in the flight deck. :)

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

Thanks Brian! I copied Sam Chui's log also, the one on his Concorde trip! I also added some extra info, such as total amount of fuel, fuel consumed, and a kind request for letting me get a cockpit visit sometime in the flight. Thanks!

fly1346, you won't get a cockpit visit inflight. only flight crew members, and certain other persons are alowed up there once the plane pushes off the gate.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Matt, I got one before on PIA on the 747-300. I just spoke to the flight attendent, and advised him on how I was a aviation enthusiast, and he spoke to the captain, and he let me in. This was post 9-11. Summer of 2003 actually! :D

notice the carrier that let you on. in this country on an american carrier you're going to have a hard time. mauybe you'll find someone who is willing to bend the rules but don't expect that to be the norm...