Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Weeks at Elmendorf AFB Alaska.... (Many Pics)

Three Weeks at Elmendorf AFB Alaska.... (Many Pics)

So the Air Force decided to send me on pretty much an "all expense paid vacation" to Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage Alaska for just about 3 weeks this summer. The base is right in Anchorage, and is home to 3rd Air Base Wing, the 12th and 19th Fighter Squadrons (F15C/D's) the 90th Fighter Squadron (F15E's) the 517th Airlift Squadron (C130H's & C12B's).

Anyway, I got to do some cool stuff, spend some good time on the flightline and fly around a little bit. Here are some pics from the trip!

We flew Alaska Air on the way up there, with a stop in Seattle... Got to see a lot of cool planes, but unfortunately the lighting wasn't the best for good pics.

DIA

Ticket Counter at DIA

Our Plane (Alaska 739)

Northwest Planes at DIA with Tower in the background

Express Net Airlines (Cargo) at SEA

Landing in Anchorage

Blackhawk Helos

3 Ship F15 Flight Awaiting Takeoff

An F15 in the early morning on the stand

Looking down a F15

F15 taxiing by

C130 on the stand

C130 on the Stand

C130 Cockpit in Flight

C130 Formation Flying through the rain

Looking straight down the edge of a C130 after a drop

Looking out the back of the C130

C130's in formation

C130 dropping stuff out the back

C130 dropping stuff out the back 2

And...

A non-aviation photo:

Glacier in Alaska

Anyway, I have some more commercial pics from the ride home which I'll post when I upload them to the comp. Hope you enjoy these! Hit me up with any questions or anything!

Great stuff - reminds me of the "Good Old Days" :)

Was this one of those "3rd Lt." programs where you get to see what the "real" Air Force is like? I did that while in ROTC - spent 3 weeks at Holloman AFB with the old Lead In Fighter Training wing, got to see F-15s, AT-38s (got several rides in them) along with a ride in an SAR Huey. Even got to see a rocket sled test - at night & several miles away, but still lots of fireworks.

Sounds like you had fun - you wouldn't have caught me that close to the open ramp on that -130 :shock:

Yep, it's the 3rd Lt. Program...

I lucked out and my Lt's who I "shadowed" were awesome. I think I wore my uniform a total of 4 times over 3 weeks, pretty much only to fly, and had the rest of the time off to do whatever.

Spent a week and a half with the 12th MSU, and a week a half with the 19th FS. Got f'ed over for my 15 ride... I worked out and ate right before my flight physical (to my credit I found out about my flight physical about 2 hours before hand), and my BP was high so the flight doc wouldn't clear me to fly (only to have it retaken the next day and be normal)...

Oh well, the C130 flights were awesome, and if I get my pilot slot, I think I'd rather fly heavies than fighters...

One thing's for sure, I can't wait to get outta here; not to mention get those nice Lt. paychecks. My LT's were bringing home something like $1800 every two weeks (granted Elmendorf is considered overseas) but it's still a huge jump from what I'm seeing now.

Oh, and I was harnessed in on that C130 (woulda been wayy to scary if not)! :)

BTW the airdrop pics are from a CDS... which means container delivery system.

Awesome pics!! Especially those C-130's flying in formation

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    hearing about elmendorf brings back a few good memories of hanging out with a great freind and mentor that is no longer with me today. i spent about 3 weeks visiting AFBs on the west coast of the country one year. elmendofr is where i learned to deice aircraft, among other thigns. glad you had fun... nice ramp shots!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

great sgots, I noticed in the northwest pics at Denver you can see the F/O standing next to the gear and it really shows how big one of the smallest Airbuses is.
    Jetblue Pilot departure announcement : "We are pleased to have some of the best flight attendants in the industry ...Unfortunately none of them are on this flight...!"

Quote Originally Posted by K9DEP
    great sgots, I noticed in the northwest pics at Denver you can see the F/O standing next to the gear and it really shows how big one of the smallest Airbuses is.
    Wow, great catch! I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out!

I also have some awesome video of the loads going out of the back of the airplane, along with low level flying from the cockpit...

We flew for 45 minutes at 300 feet AGL... It was amazing, saw many moose and deer!

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    elmendofr is where i learned to deice aircraft, among other thigns. glad you had fun... nice ramp shots!
    Interesting... Did the military show you how to de-ice? Who'd you end up getting the training from?

And as promised, here are the pics on the trip back...

Sorry for the quality, but the lighting really sucked, as it was starting to get dark (mind you this was at 11PM)...

Alaska Air in Disney Paint Scheme

Various planes at Terminal B

Alaska Air at the gate

American Airlines 762

Cathay Pacific Cargo 747

Wow fantastic photos!!! I'll be in Alaska for 10 days starting this Sunday. Oh btw that's an American 752 not a 762. I wish I was lucky to get a 762 this Sunday.

Who's face is that on the rudder of Alaskan?? I know its an eskimo, but is it anyone important?

I believe it's Ted Stevens (for whom the airport is named after), but I'm not completely sure...

Clark,

The Cathay is a 747-400F, and the American plane is a 757-200, not a 762.

Sorry for being anal.

-Phil
    Email me anytime at [email protected].