Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air France Crashes in Toronto

Air France Crashes in Toronto

Breaking News....Air France has had an A340 (according to the news) crash in Toronto Pearson airport. I realize this is a NYC aviation board, but I'm sure at some point we have all seen or photographed the plane involved. No tail number yet, aircraft still on fire.

John
    Patchogue, NY

Passenger jet in flames at Toronto airport
    Air France flight 358 skids off runway at Pearson airport

A video image of the Air France passenger jet burning at Pearson airport in Toronto
    BREAKING NEWS
    MSNBC staff and news service reports
    Updated: 4:52 p.m. ET Aug. 2, 2005
    TORONTO - An Air France plane was on fire after apparently running off the runway at Toronto's Pearson International Airport, CP-24 Television said Tuesday.

The television showed pictures of flames and smoke from the fuselage of the large, wide-body jet.

Black smoke billowed from Air France Flight 358 as the aircraft burned.

Severe thunderstorms were reported in the area, as well as a heavy downpour at the time the jet left the runway.

“This would appear to be a very serious accident,” said Paul McCarthy, a former airline pilot, speaking Tuesday with MSNBC TV's Chris Jansing. "The rain may cause great directional problems.

There was no immediate word on casualties. CNN said it appeared that there were 200 people aboard.

Police said the plane was an Air France flight that was trying to land when it ran into trouble.

There is no word on how many passengers were on board the Air France A340 or what their condition was. The plane has a capacity of up to 305 passengers, with a crew of 12 to 15 people.

It's an a340
    "Regardless of where you go or what you do with the rest of your life,
    you can always know that when fate chose
    you for the ultimate test, you were not found wanting".

Captain William Kinkead in a letter to the crew of TWA Flight 843

The news is saying now that there are actually no fatalities. That would be great news.

I heard that something happened right before touchdown, that the lights went out or something, maybe a lightning strike, that contributed to a last minute power failure.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Well, I hope its true that no one was killed. Certainly a terrifying way to end what you thought was a safe journey across the Atlantic.

Only shot I could find on a.net of this particular 340 from our local group is Josh's shot from SXM.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/582410/L/

Ironically the three most recent a.net shots of ZQ where taken in YYZ.

Even more ironic is today is the 20th Anniversary to the day of DL 191 in DFW.

More importantly I hope the reports of NO fatalities is accurate.

PEACE

Ron Peel

Ron, that's wild that I photographed that bird at SXM. What a nice to remember the plane, though.

Josh

Severe thunderstorms were reported in the area, as well as a heavy downpour at the time the jet left the runway.
    Quote Originally Posted by LGA777
    Even more ironic is today is the 20th Anniversary to the day of DL 191 in DFW.
    And maybe one of these days they will learn not to land during a thunderstorm!

I'll never forget EAL Flt 66 going down trying to land at JFK during a thunderstorm - happened on my birthday in 1975.

This old Air Force saying still holds a lot of truth:
    There is no reason to fly through a thunderstorm in peacetime.

Airbus Industrie A340-313X, MSN:289 CFM56-5C4 Engines.
    First Flight: Aug. 3, 1999.
    Delivered Sept. 7, 1999.
    "Regardless of where you go or what you do with the rest of your life,
    you can always know that when fate chose
    you for the ultimate test, you were not found wanting".

Captain William Kinkead in a letter to the crew of TWA Flight 843

Guys, I'm hearing that the cause of the Air France crash had to do with the heavy weight of thousands of white flags in the cargo bay.

Fortunately, everyone was able to survive because of the experience that the French have with running.

(Couldn't resist a good French joke. I'm very glad everyone has survived, I'd not have made the joke otherwise.)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thank god everyone survived the crash!!!

And directly from the Air France website:

Air France flight AF 358, inbound to Toronto from Paris, had an accident while landing at Toronto Pearson Airport. The aircraft, an Airbus A340, carried 297 passengers and 12 crew members. Everyone on board the jet was able to get off the plane. There are no victims. 22 passengers suffering minor injuries are treated at area hospitals.

Air France is doing everything to give assistance to passengers who where on board flight AF 358.

Air France has established a passenger information centre, and a toll-free number is available for family and friends of those who may have been on board flight AF 358 The toll-free number is :
    For those calling from France : 0 800 800 812
    For those calling from outside : + 33 1 56 93 10 00

For information about our flights, please refer to the "Schedule - Flight status" section of the site.

I'm glad everything is okay. I was alarmed when I heard about it. Pretty scary stuff, and amazing no one was killed.
    Christos

All 309 survived with 43 minor injuries. I guess miracles do happen!

Yesterday I was a little shooken up because today I am flying from MAD-JFK on a Iberia A340-600. I had never felt nervous about flying but yesterday for the first time I did. Then I thought to my self well since you want to be a pilot you might find your self in that situation and your going to have to deal. The nervousiness went away. I think the only reason why I was really nervous is because today I am flying with my dog and I kept thinking if that happend to my plane how would he get out from the cargo hold?!

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    probably a microburst issue again. remind me what was the cause of DL 191?

the scary part is that my mother is flying home on that flight today (wednesday) and at the time i got the call about it all i could think about is finding her itinerary on my mess of a desk to see if she was on the plane. thankfully, no. phew...

very glad to hear all survived. KUDOS to the crew onboard and YYZ ARFF for thier good work.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    KUDOS to the crew onboard and YYZ ARFF for thier good work.
    Good job getting everyone off the plane.

Bad job landing the plane. Isn't flying through a thunderstorm, and especially landing in one, simply something you just don't do?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Isn't flying through a thunderstorm, and especially landing in one, simply something you just don't do?
    It is in my book. Not that I fly anymore, but when I did, we gave them a wide berth. Way too much going on in and around them that don't agree with aircraft.