Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lockheed L-1011 Tri-Star

The Lockheed L-1011 Tri-Star

I was going through some of my old airline stuff the other day and I found some old L-1011 safety cards and it reminded me of how much I loved the L-1011. The Tri-star was certainly one of the nicest looking planes to have ever graced the skies but aside from its good looks the L-1011 was one of the most and still is one of the most technologically advanced aircraft ever built.

Just some interesting facts about the Tri-Star

-Out of the five that went down the causes were not related to the aircraft malfunctioning or a design flaw.

-Can take off with full nose down trim in place.

-First airliner to be certified for fully automatic all weather landings.

-Full power controls backed up by four independent hydraulic systems vs. the DC-10 and MD-11's three systems.

-Flying Stabilizer to eliminate mis-trim during take-off.

-Lower deck lounge, (not all applications)

-Following Lockheed's tradition of naming their birds after the constellations of space the L-1011 was named the Tri-Star after the three stars of Orion’s belt, which fit nicely since she had three engines.

Simply an amazing aircraft for the time, even the best selling commercial airliner the 737 doesn't have many of the same features the Tri-Star had. Its interesting how history played its part against the Tri-Star, just think if Rolls Royce had never had the trouble they had and delivered the L-1011’s engines on-time?? She would have ruled the sky…

I completely agree that the L-1011 is one of the most beautiful birds ever.

To think I used to watch these things are La Guardia growing up before I was as much into planes as I am now hurts me. I can't explain the excitement I felt last year in LA when I saw the ATA Tristars operating daily.

I have an ATA L-1011 screensaver that I made and I sometimes don't want to touch my mouse because I love looking at those shots no matter how much I look at them.

I love just watching them taxi around. They have such a presence, they stand out more than most other aircraft.

If I could rewind time......
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

It's a wonderful aircraft. In many ways, the legacy of the L1011 is the RB211 program's great success. Without Lockheed's help, I doubt Rolls would have the success they enjoy today.

The topic of why one aircraft ends up ruling the sky while another finds it way to the photo albums is a very interesting topic.
    Unfortunatelly I don't know the full tri-star stoty.
    When did it make its first flight?
    What prevented it from becoming a success?
    Why did Lockheed ended their commercial aircraft program?

Izhar

The L-1011 was created, along with the DC-10, to fill the demand by airlines like American to carry 300 passengers and operate out of airports with shorter runways such as New York's La Guardia Airport.

With its first flight in November of 1970, it faced problems the previous February when Rolls Royce (maker of the Tristar's RB211 engine) went bankrupt. After RR was saved through government nationalization, production continued until 1983 after having produced 250 of the type.

Though it fought an uphill battle, and did well, for its years, the advanced technology from twinjets such as the Airbus A300 and Boeing 767 made sales decline and force Lockheed to cease production.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thanks for the quick reply.
    By the way, did it have an option for other engines, such as P&W or GE?

One of my favorite things about the L-1011 was the awesome interior. Not only was it so modern for it's day but for anyone on here who has flown on one you can relate to this unique point, there was so much open space above you. When you sat in your seat and looked up the ceiling seemed another floor away making the whole aircraft seem so much bigger. My only dislike was the windows where a little small and a little high up compared to seat level, kind of the opposite and a a milder version of the CRJ. I had many flights on DL and EA at ages 12-14 when I was not as tall as I am today and I almost brought a phone book along to sit on so I could see out better. I was fortunate enough to have flown many legs on DL and EA, mainly between TPA-ATL plus two on TWA (LGA-STL-SFO) and one each on BA (CDG-LHR) in 1978 (in an all coach, around 360 seat config I think) and a real treat, Gulf Air's Golden Falcon between LHR-CDG on a High School trip during a minor BA strike in 1977 causing our group to get a rare treat thank to BA's employees. I am done rambling now, Thanks for reading.

Ron Peel

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    but the best part of the aircraft is that it still operates to this day, you just have to go to KWBI or CYYZ to see it. :D i smell a day trip!! ron, can you please stop bragging? we all know you're lucky. :D
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I'm also a TriStar fan. YYZ was blessed over the years with Air Transat, Royal A/L, and Air Canada fleets being based here.

The acbin was indeed massive. I recall an AC L10 flight MAN-YYZ with 10-abreast in economy. AC initially withdrew the L10 from servive in 1990, then re-enacted a small fleet of 3 from 1994-1997. I flew an AC L10 from YVR-YYZ on business in 1995 and was lucky enough to be bumped up to J. Great 2-2-2 seating and the famous nose-up landing. My last L10 flight was in 2000 on a TS L15 charter from AVI (Ciego de Avila, Cuba) to YYZ. I knew it would likely be my last L10 flight and it was.

Unfortunately, some key Lockheed mistakes limited sales:
    1. No long range version to match the DC-10-30 in the early days.
    2. No C/F version to match the DC-10-30F in the early days.
    3. Only offering the RR engine.
    4. Development of the L15 too late.
    5. No family of airliners to leverage sales.

Neil
    Toronto guy interested in the NYC av scene.

A footnote: in the late 70's when B+A were proposing the 767/310, Lockheed proposed a shrunken L10 dubbed the L1011-400 with 2 engines and a shorter fuselage to compete. AA showed interest but no customer ponied up to be a launch customer and the concept was dropped.
    Toronto guy interested in the NYC av scene.

A great Airliner.

As I recall (hopefully correctly) the first visit to the NY area was Eastern into LGA.

[Incidentally, LGA has had the airliner in 4 separate airline liveries over the years - the first three are easy - but perhaps not the 4th - no examples on A.net or JP - anyone know the 4th??]

Principal operators to JFK iincluded TWA, DELTA (simultaneous with Delta DC-10s and 747s btw), Eastern, BWIA, Royal Jordanian (I believe), amongst others. ATA were the last operator to JFK as far as I know.

EWR saw some action as well of course, with plenty of Eastern etc, but also Air Lingus and Kalitta amongst the last. Last known (to me) Tri-Stars to EWR were Saudi Royal flight and a late night ATA - both in 2005.

- Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Tom, the fourth was AC. never got a shot but remember seeing one at least 3 or 4 times in the mid-late 80's. replacing several 72S's, DC-9-30's the way the 762/763 replaces several 319's present day on weather/ATC events or sometimes the morning after. For anyone not aware the first 3 Tom is referring to are DL/EA/TW.

Regards LGA777

Right you are Ron! :)

I had seen the AC Tri-Star on approach to LGA while in Manhattan one day..a shocking site! Would've been great if someone had a shot of it at LGA. The story I had heard was that they were in EAs hands for a bit someway/somehow, but I suspect you are correct that they were indeed AC flights.

Anyways, over the last couple of years, I was able to find a couple of sources (not availale to me now though) that appear to verfiy the Caravelle and the Convair 880 both had short tenures at LGA as well. (Not Air Canada of course...). Who knew? Would be great if some images came to light of those instances.

- Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Another L1011 high note...

There was never a loss of life or craft loss in the 20 some odd years TWA operated her!

The last passenger operator at EWR was a charter coming and going to Las Vegas............sorry, can't recall the name.

Only few a Eastern flight twice............ I will never forget the sound of those engines at take off!

And yes Ron the windows did have some flaws, but it was the only aircraft I know that had two window shades! One would block off all together, and the other was a transparent sun tint! Just one more over designed feature!
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingColors
    Another L1011 high note...

There was never a loss of life or craft loss in the 20 some odd years TWA operated her!
    Sorry, I had to post the link of a TWA L-1011 Loss at JFK
    http://www.airliners.net/open.file/313641/L/
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".