Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A.nets New Rejection Tool

I can certainly understand people's frustrations when it comes to uploading photos at Airliners.net. Many of us got our expensive equipment because of our desire to upload there. Having your photos on Airliners.net as opposed to other sites is also good for business and exposure, as right now, it's the most popular site out there.

Two weeks ago, you all saw my own frustration in a rejection of mine on the forums of Anet. I was upset, even though I did see some faults in my own photo. It was one of the first times that I took such rejection personally, because I had so fallen in love with that photo.

I relate to Art's frustrations with his shots of the very special WordLiner. You get the chance to get something special and when your feelings become involved, it's a lot more aggravating when you can't get to share such work with the world. Not to mention that while I generally side with the screeners, I pretty much concur with the argument in this case.

My posts in the "Is This White" thread do show that I feel some recent rejections are a bit much as well. Though venting your feelings on message board forums like this one and AvPhotography on Anet are understandable, I think our anger is going a bit too far. We need to remember why we do what we do. Aviation enthusiasm is about enjoying our passion for commercial aviation, and for most of us, photography.

Remember when you first joined Anet? Or when you first got your photo accepted? Remember the first time you hung out with a group of more than 10 people at Costco? Our hobby was evolving for us into what it is now, and look at our outings lately. We have a lot of new people coming out and joining our scene that are experiencing these same exciting firsts right now, and they are seeing how big and wonderful this hobby is.

Though the frustrations many of us are feeling are understandable, I think some our behavior can have a negative impact on our new friends that are just getting involved in the hobby. I think we've let our feelings get the best of us to where we might not only misrepresent ourselves, but misrepresent the hobby to our new friends and also misrepresent the New York City scene to the world by letting our local site become a sounding board for our anger against fellow aviation sites.

I look at it like an ex-girlfriend. Sure, maybe the relationship turned to crap. But I remember the good times. Airliners.net will always hold a special place in my heart as the place the Clark brought me to that introduced me to the world of aviation enthusiasm. It all started there. It was the community that allowed me to learn 90% of what I know about the hobby and is essentially what created my passion for aviation. If I were to equate it to a girlfriend, Airliners.net took my virginity and taught me how to love.

While my serious relationship with Airliners.net might be over and I am now submitting my photos with other sites, I'm still going to try to get shots on Anet, because what I get there when I do get acceptances is great.

While I want everyone to speak out about their frustrations and treat this site like home, I hope you all take a moment to consider the consequences on our hobby when tempers flare and our frustrations escalate. We owe it to our new buddies, to our city, and most importantly, to ourselves.

Take care guys,

-Phil
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

it's not a priveledge for our photos to be shown on A.net, it's our photos that keep that site alive...and treating the hand that feeds you with such contempt is quite off putting to say the least! i started uploading there about 3 years ago, the only way i could keep up was to upgrade eqpt, i did it all for the love of taking photos and submitting them to A.net, how quickly things change, it's now A.net and the crew that have put me off submitting anything at all...they should feel privledged to recieve my photos because it's no longer a priority to upload to them!

i read this from Tamsin. ' Your images bring rich variety to the site and are valued highly.' of course they are highly valued, especially when those names are uploading to other sites, i'd say they are even more highly valued than ever before!

I think one has to remember that both A.net and Jp.net are privately owned companies that can run their sites how they see fit and include or not include material as they like. I'm sure A.Net and JP.net are very happy to have our pictures on their sites, but we have to remember we don't pay any membership fees to upload our photos; it’s their capital that allows us to spotlight our pictures.

If you feel A.net does an unfair job at screening then you have the right to leave, take your photos off their site, not upload anymore, use another site, or start your own website to spotlight your pictures. Lets not use this site as a sounding board for our complaints when our pictures get rejected. We are much better then that and NYCA and its intended purpose was not created for that reason.

Let me be frank, it’s a hobby for most of us, and nothing more. When you start letting your hobby stress you out or you start chasing your hobby around like it’s your entire life then you need to take a step back and reevaluate if you need to find a new hobby. You know what your picture got rejected, who gives a crap move on. If you can fix the rejection then fix it but if you can't then oh well such is life. I don't take pictures so I can put them up on some web site for all to see. Its a privilege to have sites like A.net and JP.net that do all the leg work for you by advertising what they're about, why you should visit their sites, give you the web space, and allow people from around the world to view your work all for no-charge. So lets all take a step back and remind ourselves why we enjoy the beauty of aviation as much as we do.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    [quote="Mr Smith"]it's not a priveledge for our photos to be shown on A.net, it's our photos that keep that site alive...

Actually, its everyones photos that keep that site alive. If you pulled your photos believe me the site would not go down. They are not biting anyone's hand and this fantasy everyone has that the screening process is a conspiracy to reject pics first and accept second is sad. If this is how you feel then I suggest you leave the site. At this point the more you call the screeners out the worse your situation will get. I advise eveyone to accept your rejections and celebrate your photos that make it into the DB. I think you would see your treatment improve.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Hiya Mr Smith :)

If we are going to use photo statistics as a measuring tool for ones opinion I thought I would register to this fine website and chime in.

My first thought would be for you to change your name to Mr So What.

My second thought is to remind you that you don't have to upload to Airliners.net. I am quite sure if you were to stop you would A) Find something else to be miserable about, and B) Not be missed.

Who cares if people are "seeking alternatives." What they should be seeking is a good therapist. Taking airplane pictures and uploading them on the Internet is a hobby. For people to get so angry over such a benign matter is something that should be studied by psychologists.

NIKV69 has provided his point of view. Who cares if you agree with it or not. Calling him an A.net *****? Come on.

Royal

Hey Royal....glad to see you here. I encourage you to participate in some of the other forums/threads, where you'll find much more productive and enjoyable discussions. Take care.

Josh

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    The fact I only have 11 photos in the DB has nothing to do with my ability to pass judgment. I have been on anet for enough time to get sick to my stomach from all this talk of a flawed screening process. I can go out and shoot a picture of an aircraft and get it accepted on anet. If it gets rejected I take it in stride and move on. Just bacause I don't agree with you and Futterman's crusade to overhaul anet I am an anet *****? Does that make everyone on anet that behaves the same way I do is the same? You guys are sad. In fact this will be my second to last post here. I have grown tired of the constant anet conspiracy crap which has become prevelant. I chose to patronize anet because of the simple fact it's tops in it's field and it has helped me improve as a photog rather quickly over the last year not to mention I find my photos a little more than "miserable" I have plenty of anet friends around this country and overseas I can spot with here or at IFP, LAS, LAX and IGM, or wherever else I travel. Good luck with your plan to overhaul anet, you will most definately need it.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Guys,

I've deleted one post from this thread because it was blatantly abusive and took an uncalled-for swing at another member. I have no tolerance for that.

Like I said earlier, I want this place to be where you can discuss all kinds of things. While I refuse to censor any of you, I also can't allow name-calling or insults to be tossed around, especially when all the other person offered was a varying opinion.

People disagree, that's life. But to shut someone out just because they disagree with you is shockingly rude to me. I'd cite examples from world history, but you know where I''m going there.

One of the goals of this site is to promote aviation enthusiasm. When a person has 11 photos on Airliners.net, it's probably because they are new to the scene. That means we should make that person feel welcome, even if their feelings about something as petty as a website differs from yours to where you feel the need to send blows to that person.

You're all my good friends and I don't like making posts as an "administrator".

Let's be more friendly, diplomatic and welcoming in the future.

Thanks,

-Phil
    Email me anytime at [email protected].