Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Last Gig(abyte) "

They are internal drive Brian....

Mike

Eric mentioned something about buying an enclosure for an internal drive and converting it into an external drive. Is that expensive and/or practical?

Administrator
    I've never personally used one, so maybe Eric would be better at answering that. Though, I would think it'd be more trouble than its worth though unless you have a specific need for it. A quick Internet search yielded prices from around $20 up to $70 (or more) for a hard drive enclosure. From what I can see, the advantage of an enclosure would be if you wanted to purchase a high capacity HD (that didn't come pre-existing as an external) but needed it to be external, that would likely be the best way to do it. But, again, getting an internal would save you a lot of money.

I think the benefit to those enclosures are for those that have a large cap. internal available (laying around) and want to use it as a external for backups. If you are planning to buy a new drive (don't have one laying around) then I would suggest not even considering an enclosure. Go with an internal or an acutal external.

Mike

As an old job of mine, I installed my own internal 13gig Western Digital (big at the time), and had it hooked up liek an external.

I used it just for downloading my music to (Napster was new at the time) and other personal documents.

So, when I ended up quitting last minute and storming out, I ripped open the front panel of the tower, ripped out the drive and walked out.

Today, that same drive sits in my computer right now as the drive that keeps my programs and stuff.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Administrator
    Haha, I'd love to have seen you rip the tower open and storm out carrying a hard drive. ;)