Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whip out your putter, kids!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Whip out your putter, kids!

Last Friday, I was at a wedding rehearsal dinner and I was given a golf putter with my name engraved into it. Then the groom to be mentioned that I was in the wrong profession to not be playing golf and it was about time I learned.

So after 30 years of no desire, I am willing to give it a shot. I would be wrong to write it off completely without having tried it at least once.

Where do I start? Whats a par? a 9 iron? All I know is the less strokes the better, right?

Oh, the putter says, over my name, White Magic II. What is that?? ;D

I figure the boys will have me start over at this small 9 hole course in Babylon. Any tips, anecdotes, suggestions?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

I think a par is when you get the ball in the hole within a certain amount of shots. THats all I really know. I got kicked off the course in J&R's steak house because on the first hole, I went to swing and my golf pole went flying backwards out of my hands and thru the sun roof of the kitchen. But I also got partly kicked out because I couldn't stop laughing even when the manager came out and started screaming at me. I know it sounds real immature but it was really funny.

I used to play golf, but I kept hitting the windmill :)

Each hole has a specified number of shots to sink your ball, based on length, hazards and such. That is Par - taking more than the specified number puts you above par - get used to that, as a beginner, that's where you will most likely live.

A 9 Iron is a type of club - golf clubs generally fall into two categories, woods (generally not made of wood anymore) and irons. The number has to do with the angle of the club face, but I don't know much beyond that.

I have many friends who golf (since I'm in the advertising department of a newspaper, it's a common hobby.) The best description I've ever heard is "Golf is a good walk spoiled". :)

NikV is actually a golf pro, so I'm sure he'll chime in here soon.

I've recently gotten into golf. I go to the driving range, I play mini-golf and I go nuts playing golf video games.

Next week I'm gonna go to the pitch and putt. I jsut wanna work ont he skills before I hit an actual course.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I think we need to setup a NYCAviation.com golf outing!!! We can start with mini golf as to not make assess out of ourselves. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    I think we need to setup a NYCAviation.com golf outing!!! We can start with mini golf as to not make assess out of ourselves. :lol:
    Hey, we can make asses of ourselves in mini golf too!

Dude, we take photos of airplanes in our free time. We already ARE asses. :D

I was just at the Alley Pond Driving Range with my dad on Tuesday. We spent too much time on a futile attempt to perfect my backswing and get a ball past the 75 marker, so yeah, I think I'm ready for 18 holes!

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

Tommy, I thikn that's a great idea.

Actually, JFKTower.com has had a golf tournament for the past two years in Long Island. It's like $60 for the golf, and another $60 for the banquet afterwards. Mirrodie and I went together the first year and had a fun time.

The money goes towards a heart disease charity I believe. If you're not into golf, like we weren't, you were allowed to pay $60 and jsut attend the banquet. Eating dinner there with most of the air traffic controllers form JFK is pretty coool.

I recently just tried to contact Dave Shoen from JFKTower.com to find out about this year's touranment, if there is one. I wonder how he would feel about 30 local enthusiasts showing up this year. lol

Either way, I think hitting up mini-golf is a great idea, especially when the weather gets a little too hot for spotting.

You guys don't want none of my 250-yard drive with my basebaall swing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    You guys don't want none of my 250-yard drive with my basebaall swing, though.
    Is your real name Happy Gilmore?

It would be insane for a group of us lunatics to show up at a mini-golf place. We'd have to pick a place nowhere near any airport because otherwise each time a plane flies overhead we'd all stop to look up, causing the people behind us to call us names and tell us to get off our asses.

This JFKTower.com banquet sounds really cool. I'd be up for the banquet, but definitely not for the golf. Phil, keep us posted about please.

Josh

Alley Pond Golf offers a cute, but high up, view of LGA 13 Deps directly overhead.

Will keep you guys posted. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Futterman
    Dude, we take photos of airplanes in our free time. We already ARE asses. :D
    No, I like to think of it more as "geeky". There's a sweet young lady I know who asked me what I did last weekend. I take it as a positive sign in our relationship that she wasn't frightened away after I explained our spotting/photo expedition Sunday afternoon.

Wow, Phil you look like you're about to take it, not about to hit a ball!

I play gold occasionally. I used to play a lot down in Florida, and was quite decent (Handicap around 4). I played in several tournaments down there and although never won any, finished fairly well.

Recently, I just haven't found the time to keep up my golf game. I need to get back into it, especially being in the Air Force. Many in the AF joke about how Civil Engineer designs the whole base around the golf course, and builds it first, so that if funds run out, at least there's a golf course!

I'm up for mini-golf.

But when it comes to actual golf, I can't get the damn ball off the ground.

Dude, we take photos of airplanes in our free time. We already ARE asses.
    Ha ha ha... i wouldn't say that... Maybe nerds. :roll:

I used to play at the Flushing Meadows Pitch n Putt a lot back in high school. I feel the urge to go back upon reading this thread.

Plus a nice view of LGA 13 departures/31 arrivals for us nerds. :mrgreen:
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I remember the video you showed me Phil. You looked pretty good! Your posture and set up is bad most likely because that club was too small for you but you made a good athletic move. I don't know if you read my reply to you on anet Mario but if you decide to try golf you can come down to my place one evening around dinner time when I am practicing and I can show you a few basic fundamentals to get you started.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol