Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July 4th Weekend at the Airport! (WARNING: Big Pictures)

July 4th Weekend at the Airport! (WARNING: Big Pictures)

Well, it was a busy weekend for the locals! About 17 of us turned out at the airports in total from Saturday to Sunday. Those who were out for all three logged a total of 31 hours there.

I got myself about 1,300 shots. Here is a sneak peak:

Of course I had an ATA 738 in the mix. This one taken on Saturday from Landing Lights Park.

Before this weekend, I never had a shot of an Icelandair 752, a plane I've always loved to admire from the Customs Building parking lot. Seen here from the cargo area near 13L at JFK.

I liked this shot a lot. United 757 with a NW A319 departing off of 4 in the background. Just kinda shows a busy day at the airport to me.

Probably my favorite shot from the weekend. I had been wanting a shot like this for a long time, and I finally grabbed it. A heavy over the Grand Central Parkway with a little height on my side. Thanks to Tommy's step ladder!

Here are some group pics I took on Sunday:

Here are some of the folks that went to the mounds.

Here are people enjoying the spot with an Iberia A346 approaching 22L.

I have no idea why Chris is falling over. lol

It was a really great time. A friend asked me what I did this weekend and I explained how I got a total of 9 hours of sleep since Thursday, horrible sunburn, had to get up at 5:30 Saturday and Sunday, and yet I still had an amazing time.

To anyone else who came out, post your pics and tell us about your experience. If you need hosting, let me know by PM (private message) or email.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I suppose I should share a few of my shots from those 3 days of spotting as well! It was great to meet a some new people during the holiday weekend.
    After getting lost in Jungle and escaping from canibals I was greeted by these friendly villagers!

I kept trying to get Eric D to get in the shot but for some reaons he kept popping in and out- so I gave up!

A few shots from the 3 days.

The Omni Departed the exact same time the Kuwaiti A310 Arrived!

You all know where this was taken

The plane I kept missing!

the number should be doubled soon. great job phil.
    dave :P :P
    The best never rests. When he rests, he'll R. I. P..

Hey guys, I'm new to the site. It's pretty cool to see you guys hanging out getting together to enjoy some airplane spotting. The pics are fantastic! I really enjoy it myself but need some guidance as to where to go to get up close and personal and get a great view of incoming birds at JFK. I've only been to JFK once in the past several years. I'm a lot closer to EWR and go there a lot but I'm looking forward to getting to know JFK and meeting up with you guys. If anyone can help out a newbie that would be awesome. Thanks.

Pete
    Sweet.

Varig on Sunday

Did anybody catch the Reg of the Varig 777 that came in on Sunday Night? The only two shots I got I was not able to see it.

thanks

Eric
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Really was a great weekend!!! I was really glad to meet you guys and enjoyed the conversations we shared. Even with only 3 hours sleep Friday night and Saturday night it was just a great time this weekend. I'm sure I'll be seeing you guys again soon. I have to pay special thanks to Phil for taking Brian and I to the peir near his house to get some fantasic LGA departure shots. Here's some of my pics from the weekend.

Would you trust this man with your children??? lol j/k

As for my plane pics, I'll put some up a bit later, still going through some.

Great shots Tommy, Phil!
    I hope others will post theirs up too.

Senga

Great pics! I have some from this weekend but they're not aviation related. I decided to go to Niagra Falls...

Waterfalls are great!

I'm really white!

Canada!

Sorry I missed being with the big groups on Sat. and Sun, but it was nice getting out with a few on Monday for the Tahiti flight. Thought I'd share some shots (cause Phil said I had to :D ).

It's not like I was wasting film. Terribly backlit approach to 13R overhead so I wasted a minute taking a pic of the main gear.

The shot of the approach to 13L. She never banked fully and there's some heat haze, but we expected it.

Just for Mike P. ... a "winged rodent" in his words.

Rotation from 15 zillion miles away, but who cares? It's for me.

Passing the tower.

And giving us that bank we were waiting for. About the only one that did the whole afternoon.

About the only other aircraft that gave us a good bank departing 13R.

And ended the day with a rather lackluster sunset. Oh, well, we enjoyed the time with our friends and that's all that counts.

Art

hey phil did you edit that Iberia 346 photo? I was driving on Rockaway when that one flew over...and going through all my shots.. I dont have one picture of it...... So whats going on??? HhmmmMMMmmmMMMM???

Looks like you guys lived it up again! Man, I wish I coulda been there; that Tahiti is one beautiful bird!
    Spencer.
    Itching from those NYC ticks!

haha. Thoguht the Iberia A346 did show up that day, and I did take a pic of it from the mounds there, That phot WAS edited. I put the plane there, as the angle made the planes look too small for the motive I was going for.

JFK is so exciting. A340-600s from Iberia, Cathay and Virgin, equip subs of them with Thai. 777-300s from ANA and Air France.

Doesn't get much better.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

It was a lot of fun Sunday afternoon - great to meet the gang and put faces to the names. Here are a couple of shots:

And for you Futt!

I stopped by FRG Saturday morning, and caught this guy leaving:

First time I've seen a BBJ at FRG.

The best never rests. When he rests, he'll R. I. P..

Ok my turn for the plane pics

Phil thank so much for taking me to this spot!!!!!

I think its safe to say we all had a great time!!! lol