Thread: 747 Becoming a Rarity

747 Becoming a Rarity

Those magnificent looking, but expensive to fly, 747s are becoming a rarity here at JFK. Already gone are the 747s from Aerolineas Argentina,Saudia, Air France, South African, Iberia, Swissair, Olympic, All-Nippon, Aer Lingus, Alitalia, ALIA (Jordanian), Egyptair, Cathay Pacific, United, and a few others. Qantas and Air India are also planning to end 747 service into JFK. At this rate, only some British Airways and some El Als, as well as some cargo flights, will be 747s. How sad!

When did Aer Lingus operate a 747 into JFK?

Also, doesn't NW fly 744's into JFK?

Joe

Joe,

Aer Lingus operated 747-100s into JFK, but from what I understand, that ended in the late 80s.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/413292/L/
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thanks Phil. I never knew that Aer Lingus even operated the B741.

what about these??---->Virgin, Thai, Evergreen, JAL, Cargolux, Emirates, All Nippon ,Korean, Singapore<---- And im sure most likely Polar Air will stay. If Virgin ends service, then i have no reason to live :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanExplorer222
    what about these??---->Virgin, Thai, Evergreen, JAL, Cargolux, Emirates, All Nippon ,Korean, Singapore<---- And im sure most likely Polar Air will stay. If Virgin ends service, then i have no reason to live :cry:
    As mentioned above, All Nippon/ANA switched to B777 and Thai is A345. We don't get to see their B747's here (unless it's a VIP move). Emirates pax service is A345 but at least we do get their B744F every once in a while.

Mike

what about NWA?

Yes, NW still using B744.

Mike

PIA also sends in the 74M (mixed configuration)!

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    ...but expensive to fly...
    that's simply because two engines are cheaper to operate than four of them. but you're all right... they are becomeing rarer and rarer these days.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Aer Lingus 747

Wow, I can't believe how time flies. Aer Lingus had 3 747s. EI-BED, EI-ASI and EI-ASJ; they were so beautiful. Two are now in Marana, Arizona and the 3rd I don't know about. I have many photos of them arriving on 22L at JFKbut they are non-digital; old-fashioned Kodacolor. We also had TAP, SAS, Olympic and many others. I'll one day search through my boxes of negatives!

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    ...but expensive to fly...
    that's simply because two engines are cheaper to operate than four of them. but you're all right... they are becomeing rarer and rarer these days.

Here we have a huge Boeing to Airbus argument.....

Airbus says if the flight is over 8500 nautical miles is more affordable to use 4 engines while Boeing sticks with the idea that 2 are better no matter what.

Mike
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Air China also operates Boeing 747s into JFK, and as of July 3, they will be sending them in once a day, instead of once every two days. They have more combi aircraft (8) than full pax aircraft (4), so they will usually send a combi, but will occasionally send in a full pax, when ticket sales are high.
    Long live the Boeing 747!

I was at JFK last night. My cousins flew back to Europe on a Lufthansa B744. Also, while at Terminal 1, I saw two other B744s belonging to Korean Air and Japan Airlines. I'm not sure if they're becoming a rarity, but I do notice how other aircraft types are replacing them at JFK.
    Christos

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    mike you know me... im a boeing guy.

a little off topic, but my boss has already asked me to stop wearing my boeing polo shirts to work as they "do not reflect the airline i work for." i told him that as long as airways flies good airplanes i'll be wearing them!!

come to think of it, anybody know if embraer makes polos. maybe wearing one of those will make him happy.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.