Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McGuire AFB Air Show on 6/4 and 6/5

McGuire AFB Air Show on 6/4 and 6/5

Anybody going to this show? Eric and I are heading down for one of the days, and we are gonna hook up with Steve "The Airshow Guru" Holzinger when we get there. If anyone else is interested in meeting up, shoot me an e-mail, call my cell (917-660-7871) or post a reply here. The weather is supposed to be nice both days, so my preference will be to go on Saturday so that we can shoot over to Philly afterwards for some dinner. Cheesesteaks....mmmmm.... I gotta confer with Eric, though, as to which day he prefers.

The Jones Beach airshow last weekend really got me excited about airshows again. I hadn't been to one in a really long time, but they really are fun. Plus, now that I have some good camera equipment, I am really looking forward to getting some nice shots of some of my favorite military planes.

Josh

P.S. - Here's the link to the airshow's site: http://public.mcguire.amc.af.mil/airshow/. The list of performers looks great, as does the list of static aircraft.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    josh i'd love to go. i need a day or so to see if i can get someone to cover me at work. i'll give you a call once i know for sure. by the way, i'm glad you liked sean's performance. the guy amazes me every time i watch it...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Matt...I'm not sure whether we'll have room in the car. Do you have access to a car? You should probably plan on driving, but we can certainly go down as a caravan. I'll post here when I know what day we're going.

Sean Tucker was really just amazing. I have never seen an airplane (except the Harrier) behave like a helicopter.

I will be at McGuire both days... so if you guys are actually considering going to Philly for dinner, you could swing by my place, since I am right between McGuire and Philly.

Saturday is good for me, Philly sounds like a great Idea.

Eric
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Cool...let's plan on Saturday, then.

Eric, let's talk later in the week about driving (i.e., your car or mine). I'm familiar with Philly's streets having spent three years living there during law school, but I don't know how to get to McGuire AFB. I also don't know how early we'll need to leave....the gates open at 9am and the opening ceremony is at 11am. I think it would be a good idea to get there as early as possible so that we can get better shots of the static aircraft (i.e., not as many people cluttering the shots).

I plan to be there one of the two days - probably Saturday, but it depends on whether a friend comes along, may have to do Sunday. I'll know more later in the week - hope to see you there!

I will be there on Saturday. :P
    The best never rests. When he rests, he'll R. I. P..

Did someone say......Cheesesteaks!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :arrow: :shock:
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

I'll be there Sunday. The weather is supposed to be better on Sunday.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markg
    The weather is supposed to be better on Sunday.
    Thank goodness you posted that, as I hadn't checked the weather forecast in a few days. The weather report is now actually forecasting rain for Saturday, but mostly sunny, with a high of 85 degrees, for Sunday. If the weather report still looks like that tomorrow afternoon, Eric and I will likely go down on Sunday instead (Eric - I remember you saying that either day worked for you).

I'll post again tomorrow after Eric and I decide which day we're gonna go.

Everyone is saying rain in the morning on Saturday, with Sunday looking to be the better of the two days.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    so did anyone go? we had RN friday night and yeaterday was beautiful when it came to the wx. today was just dumb hot, i think i lost about 10 pound in sweat in the bagroom....
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I was there on Saturday. The show was fantastic. Lots close up shots. :P :P
    The best never rests. When he rests, he'll R. I. P..

A few of us went on Sunday, and it was a fantastic show. Lots of great shots of the static aircraft. I finally got to use my 12-24mm lens for some up close and personal shots....of a C-5, a B-52, etc. Wow! And those Blue Angels were f***'in amazing.

But then there's the issue of the sun beating down on us all day without reprieve. All of us look like tomatoes. And of course it didn't help that McGuire's personnel can't empty a parking lot for the life of them....we sat in traffic for so damn long.

All in all, it was time well spent even if we may not be able to venture out into the sun for another week.

Josh