Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite NY airport?

Whats your favorite NY airport?

What is your favorite New York airport?

You can pretty much tell what mine is from my username and my signature!

ISP!!!

-Joe

LGA no doubt. I grew here so close to it.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

LGA. So small, yet so busy...

LGA is mine as well (see my username) a very unique and unusual airport, and in November I will complete 20 years of working at LGA !!!

Ron Peel

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    LGa is home, based on the history alone. The MAT was one of the first commercial terminals in the area, allowing the clippers to fly to europe from NYC. i don't remember which came first, la guardia field or floyd bennett field, but both were the roots of aviation in our city. actually, i love them both, just with that FBF was still operating...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

its got to be EWR for me.

EWR for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is where it all happened for me, back in the day when I was 7!!!!!!!

How does it go now..............., let me see....

My uncle George brought me and my cousin to the "new airport" to look around, EWR as we sort of know it today, was just re-opened in 1973 with the current Terminal A (which was and still is United's) and B. C was just a skeleton structure, not completed for many years. We took a look around. I recall seeing an anti collison light on a United 727s tail, going back and forth..........

Full of wonder, I asked my dad to go back, next weekend.

We did. It was great parking under the terminal, kind of cool to a little kid ( and made good use of during all the return visits in bad weather)

We started going down the first satellite jet walkway in Terminal A. To my left I saw a United DC-10-10. And next to her was a DC-8-61. The 10 was in the very new at the time orange red and blue colors while the 8 was sporting the smashing "stars n bars"

Then as a sunbeam broke out across the terminal I noticed this very bright green and orange airplanes. You could not make out what it was due to my line of vision was obscured from the middle satellite walkway...

"Come on dad!" I wailed, yanking on his arm. Away we went to the last satellite. And what was it????!!! It was 2 of Braniff International's "Flying Colors" 727-200s. It was stunning! No other airplanes had the same look or different current colors, together.

So we made our way out to the out side deck that overlooked TWA and across was Terminal B, with Allegheny and Eastern. And the twin towers.

I'll never forget those early days.

I was hooked from that day.............forever!

Mike :)
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

JFK for me and for one reason TWA. I flew TWA out of JFK countless times and there's nothing like walking up the stairs in T5 and all of a sudden the tails of those TWA 747's come into view. When you see that you know you going someplace special. Plus I just love the atmosphere of JFK in general, there's so much going on all the time.

JFK for sentimental reasons...

- The Hall of Science. They used to offer tours of JFK during the summer...my mom took me twice, the last time probably being in 1987 or 88 when I was 8 or 9 years old. A PA tour guide would take us around the airport aboard a commandeered shuttle bus. Stops included the fire station, the police station, the control tower, the animal center, and the best part, the Pan Am hangar (at the time one of the only hangars on earth that could fit a whole 747), where we were allowed to board a Pan Am 747 and walk around the cabin and sit in the cockpit. I had never flown before so it was the coolest thing ever for me. The whole experience was truly awesome and I remember it like it was a week ago. It's too bad nothing like that will ever be offered again.
    - The Concorde. From my house I'd hear it taking off, a good 6 miles away, and I'd also be able to see it on approach to 22. It was always a treat no matter how many times I'd seen it and even though it was from some distance.

And not so sentimental reasons...
    - I like widebodies. The 777 is my favorite plane, followed by the 747.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Definitely JFK for me. There's just no place like it.

Josh

I'll have to go with JFK.
    No matter what a girl says, the size of the airplane does count.

JFK is the best, but LGA is much easy to get around. :lol:
    The best never rests. When he rests, he'll R. I. P..

JFK for a number of reasons.

Growing up in Elmont, we were under the approach path to Rwy 22 - saw lots of great planes from my backyard. Also, my father was a mechanic for TWA at JFK, so I got to visit the place many times - he usually had vacation during the summer, and on payday he would go in to pick up his check (this was way before e-banking & direct deposit) He would usually bring me along with him, and if there was an a/c in the hangar, he would bring me in to take a look. Still remember the first time I sat in the cockpit of a 747 - it looked impossibly far down to the ground :shock:

When I was in college, I worked security down at the Pan Am hangars, often as the patrol driver, so I got to drive around the ramp side and up to the terminal area from time to time. Got inside a BA Concorde a couple of times as they used Pan Am's hangar when they needed an inside maintanence area. I have some nice photos, but most are slides, packed away somewhere. :cry:

It's hard to believe TWA and Pan Am are both gone now. Funny thing, though, when you pass the old TWA terminal, they still have the sign out front, so some memories live on.

Give you a hint ...

These are nice ...

But, they just don't match these ...

We love all three major airports, but I guess you know which one I love best and why :D

Art

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Josh,

Glad someone here is making sense! JFK is the best. I know a lot of guys here are partial to LGA but I think it's an ugly airport inside and outside.

Vodkagirlkris,

You are so right! No matter what a girl tells a guy. Size does matter!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Nick....don't forget that we want to see the picture of your friend's girlfriend!!!!!!!!