Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5/1/05 JFK, Where was Everyone???

5/1/05 JFK, Where was Everyone???

Well what turned out to be a lousy day at first turned into a fantastic afternoon at JFK. I was debating about going down around 1 since it was still pretty cloudy but the weather report was for clearing skies so I took a ride.

Lots of great variety this afternoon coming on 31R as well as the normal Jet Blue's and American heavies. Some of the highlights were the Iberia A340, KLM 777, Virgin 747, AF 777, CSA A310, Aero CBit 767, El Al 747, Uzbekistan 767, Royal Jordanian A340, Star Alliance UAL 777 (very exciting!!), Unmarked Atlas 742, new and old color NW DC-9's, PIA 777, and a ton of Delta 767's which must have been lost, generally don't see them on 31R.

Meet some great spotters to, one gentleman, Fred from Roslyn who was with three guys who flew in to see the Thai 345 but like everyone else the weather didn't allow us the privilege. We did have some weird dudes pull up in a BMW and ask us why we were taking pics. They had a heavy Russian accent, we told them because we like planes, they parked a few spots over and proceeded to conduct some "interesting" exchange with another parked car. Shady stuff, hehe. To end it was great day and meet some great people!! So where were you???

I wasn't able to make it, but your BMW experience sounds like the time Yevgeny Pashnin pulled up to a group of us at Boston Market on Rockaway Blvd joking like he was questioning us. A great guy, but it soundslike it might not have been him in your story.

I knwo there were quite a few guys out there today, but I don't know where they were. I'm sure they'll give a heads up and stuff.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

T-BIRD76

Most of us where over at Crossbay for 31L Departures, I was there until 7:30 shooting International departures.

Eric
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Yes, Eric was right. Howard Beach was the place to be yesterday afternoon with lots of heavy action and those bankers of course. I arrived rather late, giving up on hopes of catching the Thai at 4:30 a.m. and preferring to sleep, but in plenty of time to catch the ...

Kitty Hawk 72, Thai A345, NW 74, ANA 74, JAL 74, KE 74, Cargolux 74, Gemini MD11, Cathay A346, AF Triple, ande Air China 74, and a few of the weeds that are so plentyful. Great afternoon for bankers. Eric stayed later so I'm sure he got a few more than I did.

Couldn't get it to display the image (says HTML is off, what's up with that Phil?) so if you want to see the Thai use this link.

http://www.anniebees.com/Photos/Assets/ ... _D8013.jpg

Art

In the late afternoon, some of us splintered off and went to Costco for 31R arrivals. Around 5pm, all of the arrivals started coming on 31R and nothing was landing on 31L, so in addition to all of the interesting European arrivals we got all of the Delta/Songs that you don't usually see on 31R. Anyway, I was at Costco from about 4:30 to 6:30 with Steve H. and Chris H. We saw loads of good stuff, including Qantas 744, Aerolineas Argentinas A340, Aeroflot 763, United 777 Star Alliance (I could be wrong...it could have been the 763, but I have to go back and look at my pics), FedEx DC-10-10, LOT 762, etc. The sunlight was insane, and the sky had a perfect amount of puffy clouds to make pictures look really interesting.

To tell you the truth, while Howard Beach was great in the early afternoon, the foul stench of rotting fish was enough to make you throw up. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it has never smelled as bad as it did yesterday. So, I was somewhat happy to switch things up and go to Costco for the rest of the evening. But, Art is right...yesterday was a fantastic day for those sweet banking shots from Howard Beach. I'm really happy with my shots from there in the early afternoon.

Yesterday was a fantastic day of spotting. It was great to see a lot of familiar faces. And even though he couldn't stick around for Qantas, Futterman finally got his milk at the Cross Bay Diner.... :) [inside joke that only one or two people might get]

Josh

P.S. - Looking forward to seeing everybody in two weeks when Monty is in town.[/u]

Josh,

yup that was a United 777 Star Alliance.

Mike and I got the departure shot just before 7.

The Turkish A340 made one of the tightest turns off 31L that I had ever seen.

Eric
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Eric, how was the light for departure shots at Howard Beach? The 31R arrivals looked awesome.

Did you stick around to see Qantas depart, or was it after the sun went down?

Josh,

The sun was no good for Quantas leaving, already set.

And we had one more visit from the cops.......some lady was really acting strange, she was from home land horse-feathers, and called the cops on us.

But what I liked was the first thing out to the cops mouth was "i know its ok for u to take pics of planes---"

U see the Eva Md-11 landing ?!?!??!

Mike
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingColors
    U see the Eva Md-11 landing ?!?!??!
    No, what time did it land? I left Costco around 6:45.

I did see the Northwest Cargo 742 land on 31L around 5:00ish. I was really pissed that it didn't come in on 31R.

Prob around 7!!!!!!!

and it came in 31R, most all cargo goes 31L

Yeha, that NW 742 was super! had to take a pic for my own collection, granted no wheels...

Mike

And WHAT HAPPENED to Trojan Man Phil ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingColors
    Prob around 7!!!!!!!

and it came in 31R, most all cargo goes 31L
    That figures. Chris and I had a sneaking suspicion that as soon as we both left, something nice would come in. At least it wasn't another 747SP, because then I'd really be kicking myself.

I pulled up to Cross Bay in an Element around 12:05...and got a call that there were a few cargos coming in on 31R. So I decided that I wanted to catch the Emirates SkyCargo more than the Thai 345. The Thai ended up flying over Costco, anyway, and I did get a shot...not great quality...but it is a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Clancy
    I pulled up to Cross Bay in an Element around 12:05...
    Did you see the group of us standing around watching some lunatic woman cutting coconuts with a machete that was half as long as her body? Or how about when she lit something on fire and kept waving it near her car's engine in some kind of ritualistic fashion? :)

The Emirates Sky Cargo is a good one to catch.

How long were you at Costco? I got there around 4:30 and only saw a couple of people with cameras. I didn't recognize any of them, and I didn't want to intrude on their gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by jakbar

Did you see the group of us standing around watching some lunatic woman cutting coconuts with a machete that was half as long as her body?
    That's what they were! I was wondering what the hell she was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by jakbar
    How long were you at Costco? I got there around 4:30 and only saw a couple of people with cameras. I didn't recognize any of them, and I didn't want to intrude on their gathering.
    I left right after LX-GCV arrived and HS-TLA departed. The Nikon gods weren't on my side. My battery ran out. I was so frantic, too, because I had never shot a Cargolux coming into JFK and the Thai 345 was flying over. The Cargolux didn't come out amazing. It should be on myaviation soon, though.