Thread: USS JFK coming to NYC for Fleet Week

USS JFK coming to NYC for Fleet Week

Just read on the US Navy website that aircraft carrier USS JFK will be coming to NY for fleet week taking place from 5/26-6/1

I suspect all, or nearly all, the aircraft will be absent if past years are any indication.

Was really a treat to see the HMS Invincible come to NY (non Fleet Week) last year though. Plenty of aircraft on that one! :D

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i hope the wx isn't as bad this year as it was last. again, security will be tight and crowds enormous. time to get myself a helo!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Regardless if there planes or not this def warrants a trip into the city. Any know if there will be ships from other countries?

T-bird76, there are indeed supposed to be some foreign vessels involved each year, but not many.

AS for JFK, I believe it was last here in 2001.

Definitely worth seeing, I agree.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

anybody know what spots around the city would be the best for spotting the shhips? i'm thinking batery park. good access to the water, lots of tourists to hide among and good angles. then again, it's only good during the morning. in the afternon i'd have to go to , ewww..., jersey. =P
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Matt,

My favorite spot for ship spotting is the parking lot on the Belt Parkway, alongside the Verazzano.

I've took some great pictures of ships passing by there and underneath the Verazzano, without any PD hassles!

that's actually a pretty good idea. the bridge would add a nice backgroud...

Matt- The Brooklyn park is quite good if the ships come by early morning, but if they are late enough for the sun to get on the other side, you should go to either Fort Wadsworth or Van Driesen Park in Staten Island.

"Keep 'em Flying"