Thread: Kindergartener Handcuffed

Kindergartener Handcuffed

http://www.wbir.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=25144

The article is almost misleading. The child was throwing a tantrum for over an hour while the assistant principal and teachers tried to calm her down. When it got too out of hand and their attempts to calm her failed, police came and handcuffed her.

The mother's lawyer said that handcuffing the child was traumatic for the child. The kid was acting like a psycho already! I don't think a handcuff will send her over the edge, she leaped over long before.

The girl was swinging at the teachers and the only way to keep her still
    was to handcuff her. What else should they have done?

Would it have been better if teachers used corporal punishment? Media manipulation on this one it seems to me.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I have to disagree with you on this one Phil....please dont kick my ass lol... But handcuffing a 5 year old? Common there are plenty of other alternatives besides handcuffing. There are ALOT of kids who have temper tantrums everyday, cops gonna need to be called in to handcuff one at a restaurant?? I just think the law went TOO far on this one. ITS A 5 YEAR OLD!!!!! :evil: and there were 3 officers. If the principal couldnt control her, then maybe she shouldnt be a principal

you wanna know something Phil, i come from the most remote capital city on earth and that story made it on our nightly news, girl needed a good slap by the look of her carrying on... :lol:

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i don't think that the police went too far at all. they did what they needed to do in order to control a hostile and out of hand child. i don't know what was going on in that kid's head, but she obviously did not have any self control about herself.

a word to the parents of that kid, before you bring up a lawsuit baybe you ought to consder raising your kid so that they don't cause problems that require police intervention as a 5 year old!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

So can anyone suggest what method would have been better to restrain the girl or calm her down?

I would have picked up parent whatever their excuse and took her to the school.
    Let the parent take control, if that was not an option i'd have locked her in a cupboard untill she calmed herself down.
    I dont think cuffing a 5 year old is an option!

Ryan

They handcuffed a 5 year old? Well if they left her in school, than its ok. But if they took her down town than I would think they went a little over the line. :lol:

I just thought of something - has anyone seen any evidence of this 5 year old actually in the handcuffs?

Reason i say this is the hand cuffs us British cops use would never go round the wrist of a 5 year old, it would be impossible to cuff her?

Ryan

Guys I'm sorry but people shouldn't comment regarding this case unless they've dealt with or are educated to handle behavioral challenged children, which this child was. This is a big problem down south where a good majority of the schools don't have programs to deal with behavioral children. Oh and btw most kids who do throw temper tantrums which happens 100's of times a day in America's elementary schools generally throw their hands around often times landing a good blow to the teacher.

I did my fieldwork with behavioral challenged kids and there is a simple and effective way to stop them. One person distracts them from the front while another one comes from behind and puts them into a gentle but firm reverse bear hug. Most of the time after a while the child will tire from the hold and calm down and go about being a normal five year old.

The school and the police to a point were 100% out of line for what they did, although I don't blame the police entirely. The police can only follow their training procedures for subduing a possible assailant. The school on the other hand needs to step into the 21st century and learn how to deal with problem students like this otherwise this girl will be 100 times worse when she's in Middle School and High School. This is another reason why I will never in a million years teach in the south.

Valid points.

I was surprised that the school was even willing to call the police in this matter.

But then again, in this day and age of lawsuits, they were probably scared of being sued for any kind of action they mighthave taken, so they wanted to pass it off to police.

One thing I don't understand is why the camera was in school to begin with.

Cameras in school whether they are still or video are pretty common. Allot of teachers, Aids, Student teachers generally like to take shots of their students, I did, you can use the pics in your portfolio, teachers put the pics up on bulletin boards etc. The camera probably just happened to be there and recorded the incident.

lets not forget this whole thing was started cuz faculty took her camera away from her and told her she cant take photos of planes during recess........... ...... :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Guys I'm sorry but people shouldn't comment regarding this case unless they've dealt with or are educated to handle behavioral challenged children, which this child was. This is a big problem down south where a good majority of the schools don't have programs to deal with behavioral children. Oh and btw most kids who do throw temper tantrums which happens 100's of times a day in America's elementary schools generally throw their hands around often times landing a good blow to the teacher.

I did my fieldwork with behavioral challenged kids and there is a simple and effective way to stop them. One person distracts them from the front while another one comes from behind and puts them into a gentle but firm reverse bear hug. Most of the time after a while the child will tire from the hold and calm down and go about being a normal five year old.

The school and the police to a point were 100% out of line for what they did, although I don't blame the police entirely. The police can only follow their training procedures for subduing a possible assailant. The school on the other hand needs to step into the 21st century and learn how to deal with problem students like this otherwise this girl will be 100 times worse when she's in Middle School and High School. This is another reason why I will never in a million years teach in the south.
    I keep reading stuff about the news in regards to this incident and the more I read, the more I think about your reply and how awesome it is.