Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ISP April 14th SCPD and their Gestapo tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Is there any way that we can complain about that to the county or state? I'm pretty sure it is illegal for a security team to claim to be a police force.
    That is indeed illegal. The NY State Department of State regulates and licenses private security guard firms and the guards themselves. There are strict rules regarding what their uniforms say, what the signs on their cars say, the appearance of the patches on their uniforms, etc. Basically everything HAS to say SECURITY and only SECURITY. Any uniform or vehicle labeled something else, especially POLICE, is 100% illegal.

Complain to the NY State Dept of State
    http://www.dos.state.ny.us
    Here's the official complaint form:
    http://www.dos.state.ny.us/lcns/pdfs/1507.pdf

They've hidden all their real contact info, but here it is...
    Hauppauge office: (631) 952-6583, Hauppauge State Office Building, 250 Veterans Memorial Highway, Hauppauge, NY 11788
    NY City office: (212) 417-5790, 123 William St, 19th Floor, NY, NY 10038
    Albany office: (518) 474-4429, 84 Holland Ave, Albany, NY 12208

Please note that your complaint has a high chance of being tossed. My dad is retired Dept of State investigator, and his contacts there now say as Pataki is fighting for his political life (the Dept is headed by the Secretary of State, which of course is the #3 position in the state hierarchy) every move they make is politicized. Hence, chances are if they wanted to straighten out this Islip situation, it would have been done already. It's to the point that where normally if they received a complaint that was outside of their jurisdiction they would refer the complainant to the AG's office, but since Spitzer will be running for Gov against Pataki, they are now instructed to basically tell the caller to get lost to keep Spitzer from getting any extra positive exposure.

And that's today's insight on how our wonderful state government is working to protect YOUR interests. :)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I wouldn't waste my time or energy trying to report Islip Town for breaking NYS law regarding the "Islip Police". First off if I did it McGowan would send his goon squad to harass the hell out of me. I'm sure a code enforcement officer would make his way to my house. He's known to pull tactics like that.

The Chief of the Airport Police is Greg DiCanio and the Sergeant of SCPD Airport Operations is Rob Geisert. They are both nice guys and would appreciate knowing you are around. This way when they get a call of a suspicious person/vehicle their officers are aware you are around and you probably get a better meeting. Think of a notification as professional courtesy.

As far as TSA frowning on photos lets say they are concerned. Not for the photo/aviation enthusiast but those who may be using a camera for a nefarious reason. There has been proof of surveillance being used during the planning of terrorist acts.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I I [quote=T-Bird76]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Phil D.":91074
    I think certain strategies work in certain places and not in others.

I think ISP has been a perfect example time and time again of how an airport should NOT act in cases of aviation enthusiasm. I think their ignorance is so bad that we msut now go over their heads to their bosses and county officials.

I think stopping in the office to check-in would result in them sending you home.
    Phil if you know anything about Islip Town you'll know why Islip is such a pain in the a$$. The Islip Town Supervisor Pete McGowan aka the Furher is a simply a total jacka$$. He's even gone as far as breaking New York state law and dressing the ISP security guards up as Islip Town Police, even their cars say Islip Police. Islip Town has no Police force; these guys and one blonde bitch (sorry had to say it) are impersonating real Police, and he gets away with it.

On an off Topic ISP was conducting emergency drills today, I was so temped to stop and take some pics but I was running late.[/quote:91074]

Well you don't have to worry about McGowan. The LIMA PD have been upgraded to Peace Offiers and if you looked lately at the patches and cars it says law enforcement instead of police now.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Point taken, but there was also proof that flight school was used during the planning of the terrorist attacks and that isn't illegal...people aren't questioned or detained if they want to learn to fly.

We make ourselves VERY visible, literally and figuratively....we shouldn't been viewed as a threat.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Wow talk about a thread from the past!

I loved Josh's response to photographing naked women. Def a change from planes! If I had to choose a nice set of hooters over a 747 I would take the hooters!

Mel raises a good point. It was funny how a guy can walk into a flight school and ask to learn to fly, and then tell the FI that he doesn't need to learn how to land, how that doesn't that arouse suspicion.

I was actually at ISP couple of weeks ago to grab a few shots, same exact spot in the bank lot. A gentleman was there with his van and his two young daughters right next to me. No camera, no pilot radio. Just himself and his two young girls watching the 737s go by. It was actually awesome to see that. Needless to say I was there a good 90 mins and no cops came, nobody asked what I was doing With a camera and nobody asked the guy next to me why he and his girls were having a good time watching the traffic. It was so nice. If only it was always like that.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    Point taken, but there was also proof that flight school was used during the planning of the terrorist attacks and that isn't illegal...people aren't questioned or detained if they want to learn to fly.

We make ourselves VERY visible, literally and figuratively....we shouldn't been viewed as a threat.
    Don't be so sure about flight schools. The persons taking lessons need to meet TSA and FAA regulations. TSA Inspectors are going out to flight schools and looking at their books.

By the way I am on your side.
    Ronald Reagan

Just a follow up...our company has 30 pilots. Right now, 2 of them do not hold US passports, one is from Finland, the other from Denmark. Those two go through HELL now everytime their recurrent training comes up. They have been employed with us for 3, consecutive, non-broken up years, and yet, because they are not a US Citizen, the TSA runs a background check on them EVERY 6 months (for their recurrent training.) Twice now they have missed a day of class thanks to the TSA dragging their feet.

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    Just a follow up...our company has 30 pilots. Right now, 2 of them do not hold US passports, one is from Finland, the other from Denmark. Those two go through HELL now everytime their recurrent training comes up. They have been employed with us for 3, consecutive, non-broken up years, and yet, because they are not a US Citizen, the TSA runs a background check on them EVERY 6 months (for their recurrent training.) Twice now they have missed a day of class thanks to the TSA dragging their feet.
    It's the government, what do you expect :roll:

DHS outsources the backgrounds so there are many hands it goes through. Background checks are backlogged often.
    Ronald Reagan

Spoke with the Sergeant of the SCPD Airport Operations today. He is aware of the story and this site. He advised me they have adjusted the way they approach these situations. He agreed that spotting isn't illegal as long as the spotters aren't trespassing.

They may still check you out and take your name but you should have a better experience.
    Ronald Reagan

I myself have spotted at ISP - that was on 8-09-04 - and the cop was a real d**k. " CANT YOU READ THE SIGN NO TRESSPASSING- GOODBYE!!". I guess we should all go to dunking doughnuts before visiting ISP ehh =P
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Quote Originally Posted by N790SW
    I myself have spotted at ISP - that was on 8-09-04 - and the cop was a real d**k. " CANT YOU READ THE SIGN NO TRESSPASSING- GOODBYE!!". I guess we should all go to dunking doughnuts before visiting ISP ehh =P
    Your comments and attitude towards police and tresspassing laws are a wonderful contribution to the aviaiton enthusiast community. We all thank you.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Where were you Bobby? If you were on public property why would he say that too you?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Quote Originally Posted by N790SW
    Your comments and attitude towards police and tresspassing laws are a wonderful contribution to the aviaiton enthusiast community. We all thank you.
    Phil, I think he's just frustrated in the way law enforcement treats people who are doing nothing wrong. But you do bring up a good point...

While I understand your (N790SW) frustration, we need to all remember that our actions reflect on our hobby and on fellow spotters. Comments made that insult or attack a law enforcement official, who probably does have good intentions at heart, won't be received well, and will just lead to futher disputes and complications for all spotters, will which ultimately widen the rift between spotters and law enforcement officials.

Granted, I don't spot a lot, and I've never really been harrassed by the police, so I don't have the "experience" notched in my belt. But, I do think that it is important that we maintain our composure when dealing with law enforcement and try to rationalize with them and be positive examples of how harmless our hobby is. While we may not win each individual battle, if spotters kept displaying a positive attitude towards law enforcement, even if it means packing up for the day, I think word would get around soon enough that we're harmless and just looking to enjoy our hobby. Personally, I believe that it's when we are aggressive and vengeful towards law enforcement that we receive a bad name, which encourages the police to crack down on us and harrass us as much as they legally can...

Well, I don't know exactly where he was, but if he really was tresspassing, then he was doing something wrong.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].