Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ISP April 14th SCPD and their Gestapo tactics.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Futterman,

We do not have any responsibilty here. The only responsibilty lies with the police and government to decipher who is a threat and who is not, and to do so without violating our rights. You continue calling God knows who before you go spot. I will not.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I'll keep that in mind.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    brian, DO NOT compare me to a terrorist. bottom line, you do what you want to do. i will teach my ways to those that wish to be taught.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I find myself mostly in agreement with Nick on this issue. I'll be damned if I have to call someone in advance to "pre-clear" my spotting activities, particularly somewhere like ISP where you know that they are only going to lie to you and tell you that you can't take pictures. This isn't about making relationships...we don't need to make relationships in order to engage in lawful activity. If the cops need to be educated, then let their supervisors educate them after you call in a complaint or, better yet, sue them for false arrest, etc. Trust me, all it will take is one bad incident to make its way into a local newspaper, and you'll see some officers opening their eyes to our existence. Anyways, I've got limited free time on the weekends, and I won't waste it dealing with the police bureaucracy.

The cops are not the problem, in my opinion. We all know that they can't really do anything to you simply for taking pictures. They're mostly counting on you to be too stupid or too afraid to do anything about it when they feed you the "9/11 changed everything" b.s. Stand up for yourself, and their power is gone. The real problem is the owners of the private property (i.e., the bank at ISP, Costco near JFK, etc.) that can very easily put up a sign saying "No trespassing. No parking. For bank customers only. No photography" or some other similar language. I've seen that kind of sign in other parts of the country. The cops won't come up to you to tell you that photography is illegal, but instead will tell you that you're trespassing/loitering. What can we really do about that? Whatever it is, I'm sure that calling the manager of the bank (or whatever place you're at) beforehand is NOT the way to go.

Rather (and this is where I disagree with Nick's unequivocal "we have no responsibility" statement), I think that we need to recognize that we do have a responsibility not to overextend our "privileges," so to speak. For example, do you think that the bank would be very happy if there were 10 spotters standing in their parking lot with cameras all weekend long, who leave garbage on the ground, etc.? I think what Matt said about staying under the radar is not meant to suggest that we act sneaky and covertly like "terrorists," but instead is meant that we should all recognize that our "access" to private property could go away if we abuse our current situation. Certainly, at places like Costco, it's a little easier to get away with having a big crowd of people since the parking lot is enormous and there are always fishermen, etc. hanging around. But at a bank...which I assume has a much smaller parking lot than Costco, I'd be a little more careful. The same goes for places like the cargo area at JFK...if people are constantly running out into the field near the 13L landing lights, it won't be long before there's a "no photography" sign.

All that being said, this is just a hobby. Let's just have fun and stop with the personal attacks and militant attitudes. Most people just want to have a good time and hang out with nice people. I think it's a turn-off for people who are new to this hobby to come to nycaviation, a.net or any other website and see this nonsense. I'm not saying we should shut up about this, but I do think we need to be a little more positive-minded instead of being so anti-police, anti-government, anti-Futterman....

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Vodkagirlkris
    I'll keep that in mind.
    Good! :D Email me anytime. [email protected] We can talk further.

Matt,

Relax, it's not worth getting your blood in a boil.

As for everyone else, let me put it in a way you may understand. There are these devices called "Cameras" You use them to take pictures of things. Some people take pictures of birds, other wildlife, family functions, vacations. Some people even take pictures of trains, cars and naked women! Some people even take pictures of commercial airplanes! No! :shock: You don't say! These actions are a "HOBBY" People actually dervive pleasure in doing these things. There is nothing illegal about this and I really don't care that some people feel that after 9/11 our pratice warrants any different behavior than a person who sits in a field and photographs birds all day. Until GWB signs a piece of paper saying what we do is illegal I will continue to do it, do it responsibly without so much as picking up a phone or feeling I have a responsibility to anythng and won't stop till they pry my camera from my cold dead hand!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    As for everyone else, let me put it in a way you may understand. There are these devices called "Cameras" You use them to take pictures of things. Some people take pictures of birds, other wildlife, family functions, vacations. Some people even take pictures of trains, cars and naked women! Some people even take pictures of commercial airplanes! No! :shock: You don't say! These actions are a "HOBBY" People actually dervive pleasure in doing these things. There is nothing illegal about this and I really don't care that some people feel that after 9/11 our pratice warrants any different behavior than a person who sits in a field and photographs birds all day. Until GWB signs a piece of paper saying what we do is illegal I will continue to do it, do it responsibly without so much as picking up a phone or feeling I have a responsibility to anythng and won't stop till they pry my camera from my cold dead hand!
    if this forum had the weightlifter smiley, id be posting that right now! :D

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    Some people even take pictures of . . . naked women! These actions are a "HOBBY"
    I just decided...I'm giving up aviation photography in favor of this hobby.

lol

I know Joe, I love that weighlifter smiley! I wish Phil would get it here!

You guys mean this one?

or here's another:

Mike

The first one! That is my official symbol of our fight to spot without harassment! How do we use it?

I don't know if a.net will like it but you would do this:

(img)http://www.airliners.net/discussions/graphics/smilies/weightlifter.gif(/img)

You would replace the above ( and ) with [ and ] to get:

Or, (img)http://www.mikephotos.net/gonik.gif(/img)

Again, replace the ( and ) with [ and ] to get: hahahahaha

Mike

I love it! I may email Johan and ask him or maybe it would be better if Phil emailed him and asked his permission. I think that smiley is classic and should be a symbol of us spotters.

Remind me later. I'll save it and host it here and give you a link.

Johan doesn't own the rights to the emoties, so I can yank it.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

That would be great Phil. If you could yank a few of them I can give you a list. Some of them are so good!