Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JFK 04/06/2011 -- Air Force One

JFK 04/06/2011 -- Air Force One

When I woke up this morning, the weather was absolutely perfect! Perfectly blue cloud-less skies. By 4:00pm, it had turned back to mud.

Air Force One took off from PHL a little early around 4:00pm. She showed up on approach around 4:50pm

I love these guys.. .they must still think they're flying F-15s... JFK was on the 22s with a somewhat strong gust but, AF1 picked the expected shortest path to the ramp, 31L. At around 5DME she made a hard left turn and came in really fast, faster than all other 747s ever come in to 31L. It only slowed down around 1 DME.

5 DME

2 DME

1/2 DME

Landing. Sorry about the fence... I tried to go as far to the right of Innwood to get the tower in the shot. But that can only be done through chain-link.

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Really great pictures nice catch.

Good shots considering the lighting conditions. Glad to see someone got AF1 this week.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Nice manny, I saw the radar and new the sun was going bye bye. Did you hear the ATC convo?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I was out at Bayswater...

I need to get this shot again in good weather:

Manny, tower was calling the winds at 290@15ish, so 31 was really the better runway. You can expect them to use 31L most all of the time now that it is open again.

Thanks guys. Moose, GREAT shots... and yeah I was listening to tower... it was funny there was a Delta that almost made it and then got told, sorry go spin! VIP movements lol.

Moose, I am all over it. I usually look for the NYPD Helos... they give away the route they will use LOL. They do progressive 1 mile loops from over the field to about 5 DME along whatever RWY they will use. This has happened the last 4 times I have personally seen AF1 landing.

Moose, GREAT shots ;-) I did not want to go all the way to Bayswater and get stuck so I decided to stay a little closer. Also, if traffic was not so bad, I could technically make it to The Mounds if they somehow got vectored for the 22s from CAMRN approach. Technically with "normal" planes, it takes about 15 minutes from the time they check in at around 20,000' til on final.
    Manny Gonzalez

BTW Moose, Tower was wrong about wind direction on the 31L ... at least the WX ASOS was since it is at the far east of the field LOL. I had a flag right next to me and it was blowing strongly straight from the south-west. I believe the 22s were the better choice from what I saw. Do you have any shots of the Wind Sock on 31L near KK? There used to be one there or thereabouts...
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Moose, I am all over it. I usually look for the NYPD Helos... they give away the route they will use LOL.
    Thats pretty funny and so true. When I am at work in Manhattan and the timing is right to get to see the motorcade and dont have my scanner I always know when they are getting
    close when I see PD Aviation sweeping the rooftops and the route.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    When I woke up this morning, the weather was absolutely perfect! Perfectly blue cloud-less skies. By 4:00pm, it had turned back to mud.
    I was thinking of going down to JRB after work to check out Marine 1 and his entourage coming in but a number of weather forecasts said it would be crappy later so I decided
    to wait for another time. Good move. Heading to Penn Station up West 32 Street at 4:35 and it was chilly and the rain just begining. In fact it rained bad enough to cancel the
    Yankee game but probably not bad enough for Marine 1 to make the trip tp JFK.

Manny, now that 31L is back in service, they will almost always land that way. They park down near Hangar 19, so it is an easy route into parking. They will usually leave 13R for the same reason. The only time I saw the VC-25 come in on 22L was a couple of years ago - after dropping off POTUS, they repositioned to SWF, it was UN week, and he was in town for a couple of days. When they came back in prior to his departure, they landed 22L in sequence with other traffic, since they were "SAM 29000" rather than "Air Force 1". They departed 13R that day once they picked up the President.

Standing next to the water at Bayswater, the wind sure seemed to be coming from the west, which matched what I heard tower reporting. I did see the NYPD helicopter circling over Inwood Park, I'm sure they saw you down there!
    Last edited by moose135; 2011-04-06 at 09:54 PM.

Moose, I know, and I agree... that's why I was at Innwood instead of The Mounds... I knew they would pick the best route straight from the south into 31L. But I was ready "just in case" I know from previous updates here that they moved back to the left side from the Triple Hangars since construction on 31L is now completed (or somewhat completed)

It is always a lot of fun and very exciting seeing AF1 with POTUS on board. I made sure when NYPD 15 was overhead, that I was nicely tucked away in my car. I don't want them to mistake my lens for a bazooka! I may have gotten away with it with a ticket the other day, but explaining my hobby while POTUS is inbound will likely not make me anyone's friend!
    Manny Gonzalez

Great shots guys ! Manny, I was stuck at the office as usual when you texted me :( Glad you made it out there
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

My dad was stuck on the AF A380 when this came in. Since catch!
    Trevor Guglielmino
    ------------------------------
    My Photos
    Canon T2i/60D

Nice catch Manny and Moose! I wish you guys had better light.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Nice shots guys
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com